Taking Credit Cards

Lounge By flourjuice Updated 26 Sep 2012 , 7:19pm by vpenkuhn

flourjuice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourjuice Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 12:30am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have experience with the credit card machines that can hook up to your smart phone to take payments for cakes? If so, what do you think? Which is the best company to go with?

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 12:42am
post #2 of 4

Square seems to work pretty well. Accepting credit cards can be risky though...if you don't adjust your prices to compensate you are essentially giving up 3% of your gross revenue, and it's much easier for customers to dispute charges.

flourjuice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourjuice Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your input!

vpenkuhn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpenkuhn Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 4

I have had the Square for two years now. I did a bit of research before ordering (it is free), what I found is that the founder of Twitter is the person that supposedly came up with the Square. That gave me a little confidence that it was legit. I have a small tie dye clothing business, & we sell at various festivals during the summer so we use it for that purpose. It is easy, once you remember which way you hold the card & which way you swipe. So far no disputes (knock on wood)...I do wait 60 days before I use any funds deposited in my account by Square just to make sure. No monthly fee no per swipe fees, just a straight 2.75%. You do have to have a Smart phone & data plan but it really doesnt use much. It works well for us so far. HTH
Vickie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%