Asked To Teach A Class And I Don't Know Where To Start Help!

Decorating By Brettley Updated 25 Sep 2012 , 8:01am by mareetina

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

In advance, thank you for any suggestions!

I was asked recently to teach 8-1 hour long sessions on cake decorating for kids. Which I am THRILLED about, as I would love to move my business model in that direction. Anyway I will be teaching at a Junior High (Grade 8's), and......I don't even know where to begin. I have been racking my brain for days wondering where to start and where to finish. So here are a few things that I am pondering...

1: Do I do 8 completely separate classes, ie a sugerpaste class, then a covering a cake class(fondant and buttercream) and a cupcake class etc

2: Do I do a cake fro beginning to end, like 1 class bake the cake and explain all of the elements of a cake (levening etc), then a fondant/buttercream class, then a decorations class etc....

Anyway, that is where I have gotten so far.....

So basically any ideas woul be GREATLY appreciated. I am nervous but so excited! I am also terrified of screwing up!

HELP

3 replies
Diana81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana81 Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 2:02am
post #2 of 4

The seperate classes idea sounds entertaining to me: one class teaching a different thing makes it fun because of the variety. There s so much to teach them! U can include in each class something that attracts kids their age ( fashion, music, tv shows etc..)
Cupcake class, cake pop class, cookie class, fondant and coloring class, gumpaste and cool design class, how to make your fondant/gumpaste bling class, yummy icing recipe class, edible sugar photo of Justin bieber class etc...

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 3:00am
post #3 of 4

I run a course like this for the local high school a couple of times a year. What I have found that works is that I kind of get their "feet wet" the first week with decorating cookies and cupcakes ( I baked them for the kids ) . I then planned a cake that had a few simple elements to complete doing them in stages over the next few weeks. I usually include simple flowers, some sort of modelling , basic piping using practice sheets. The last two weeks We cover and finish the cake . I give the kids a recipe and get them to bake the cake at home. I use a mud cake as it will still be good for the two weeks it takes to complete.

mareetina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareetina Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 8:01am
post #4 of 4

Congratulations on being asked to teach some lessons in cake decorating!!

I am about to start doing some begineer teaching myself (mostly adults) and have had the same trouble as you - what to teach!

One hour isn't very long and I figure trying to teach a class how to cover a cake in fondant in one lesson would be extremely difficult.

I totally agree with what Chellescakes does. Start them with decorating cupcakes or biscutes, that way it should get them excited. Try to do as much hands on as you can so that you keep the interest up.

Simple things like using moulds can also be interesting to kids. I'm sure you will have a blast!

Enjoy it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%