Difference In Using Chocolate And Cocoa Powder In A Cake

Baking By mekalas Updated 30 Sep 2012 , 4:36pm by saapena

mekalas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekalas Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 9

What would be the difference in using cocoa powder and chocolate in a chocolate cake recipe?

8 replies
Diana81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana81 Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 2:15am
post #2 of 9

Never tried chocolate for a chocolate cake recipe. Curious to hear if others have tried it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 2:24am
post #3 of 9

I have used melted chocolate in chocolate cake layers. It keeps them from being dry. Frances Kuyper(well know cake artist) told me about this. I don,t always, but sometimes.hth

Diana81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana81 Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 3:02am
post #4 of 9

Good to know! Thanks for the tip.

the_sweets_lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the_sweets_lady Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 9

I only use melted chocolate for my chocolate cake recipe. I used the powder once and didnt like the taste and teture. I get a lot of complements on the flavor and moisture of my chocolate cake. But thats me and my prefence.
Try it with both and have a taste test not telling your family what you did. just ask them to tell you which cake they liked best. Thats what I do when Im trying a new recipe or flavor.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 9

A cocoa recipe that has boiling water added to the cocoa will bake a cake that is just as moist as the melted chocolate. But you have to use a recipe that has specifically been developed for cocoa powder.

The cocoa has the added advantage of decreasing the gluten content from the flour, and that will make for a tender cake. Again, this will be true of the recipe has been developed for cocoa powder.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 3:36am
post #7 of 9

Fine cocoa powders are delicious. I have cakes that use melted chocolate and cocoa powder. Both are excellent.

I agree with bakingirene about reconstituting the cocoa powder.

mekalas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekalas Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 5:56am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all your tips.. I have always used cocoa powder..Will give a try on the chocolate as well

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 9

I have a question regarding reconstituting the cocoa powder. If your recipe specifically doesn't call for doing this, how/when would you do it? I have few recipes that use cocoa powder (and are delicious) but am always looking for ways to make it better.

Thanks for your help.

Sheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%