Structural Fondant/gumpaste Pieces Won't Dry!

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 24 Sep 2012 , 1:09am by ptanyer

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 13

I made 4 very large fondant/gumpaste/cmc walls which are 1/4" thick x 12" x 18" on Wednesday and laid each one on a foam core board to dry. I have turned them over each day and even tried putting them on cooling racks and they aren't drying out. They are firm, not floppy, but there is no way that these walls are going to stand on their own being connected at just the corners.

I can't out them in the oven with just the oven light on because the light in my oven doesn't workicon_sad.gif. I am afraid to heat up the oven and put the pieces in it like some people have suggested in past posts.

These pieces are soooo big that it will cost me a fortune to go buy all new gumpaste to start over. These have to dry by next Sunday so I can pack them in my suitcase to fly them to another state to make a cake for a family member.

All help will be greatly appreciatedicon_smile.gif

12 replies
ptanyer Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 13

I took each piece and put it one a cooling rack and stacked them all up on stackable cooling racks in front of a fan. Will see what that does.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 13

how thick are the pieces? It may just need more drying time. What kind of gumpaste are you using?

ptanyer Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 13

They are 1/4". I used Wilton gumpaste, Wilton fondant and lots of cmc kneaded in.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 13

You might try coating the backs of them with melted almond bark or candy melts. When it cools, they'll be firm enough to stand.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 13

I put mine in the oven with just the oven light on, it helps speed up the drying.

ptanyer Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

You might try coating the backs of them with melted almond bark or candy melts. When it cools, they'll be firm enough to stand.

I was just wondering about doing that. Might have to wait until after the flight to do that. I am transporting each side in a separate foam core tray that I made just for carrying them in my suitcase, and am afraid the chocolate might melt. Thanks for the suggestion.

Alene, my oven light doesn't work icon_sad.gif not just a light bulb problem, it is something else and the landlord won't fix it. Thats why I am looking for alternative methods. Thanks.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 13

Is it humid there? If so, do you have the AC on or a dehumidifier?

ptanyer Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 13

Yes, it has been humid up until last night, and the a/c's have been running (we have 4 of them around the house) until this morning when the temps dropped to a wonderful 65 degreesicon_smile.gif. I put the pieces on top of a cabinet where the a/c would blow directly on them and nothing except they felt a little more moist.

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 13

They just need more drying time. Keep turning them over 2-3 X a day. Be careful to have them too close to A/C unit. A dehumidifier may also help.
On assembly consider using styrofoam rectangles/squares at bottom corners (hidden on the inside of walls) as it will help keep them stable.
Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

ptanyer Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTzippy

They just need more drying time. Keep turning them over 2-3 X a day. Be careful to have them too close to A/C unit. A dehumidifier may also help.
On assembly consider using styrofoam rectangles/squares at bottom corners (hidden on the inside of walls) as it will help keep them stable.
Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Great idea about the styrofoam pieces, I hadn't thought about that thumbs_up.gif

Thanks!

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 13

[/quote]Great idea about the styrofoam pieces, I hadn't thought about that thumbs_up.gif
Thanks![/quote]

You are welcome ptanyer!
I did that once on a similar large structure and the styrofoam saved it! icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 1:09am
post #13 of 13

After putting the pieces on cooling racks and placing them in front of a fan all day, the pieces are firming up. By the end of the week they should be just right. Thanks to everyone for all their help icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%