New To Cake Decorating

Decorating By Coxyscakes Updated 23 Sep 2012 , 12:58am by Diana81

Coxyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coxyscakes Posted 22 Sep 2012 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 6

Hi I am new to cake decorating and will be making a 3 tiered cake in the colours of purple,black and fushia pink for a masquerade party and would like the cake to shimmer, what would be the best way to achieve an all over shimmer?
many Thanks for any help

5 replies
Diana81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana81 Posted 22 Sep 2012 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 6

Pearl dust. You can buy it online or at cake decorating stores like michaels. You can get a paint brush and use it to apply the pearl dust ( it comes in different colors) on each tier.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Sep 2012 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 6

Americolor has beautiful shades of sheen colors. PME also has them . and Lucks brand has them. Great for shine on cakes.

Coxyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coxyscakes Posted 22 Sep 2012 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your reply.
You said comes in different colours, does that mean I will need the same colour as the icing I am going to paint it on or is there a neutral colour that I can just paint all over the cake?

Diana81 Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 12:42am
post #5 of 6

They have a neutral color that looks like a shiny white color. I forgot to mention that u use this powder on fondant not to put it in your icing. If you are covering your cakes with just icing and not fondant, the pearl dust won't show. What are u covering the cake with?

Diana81 Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 12:58am
post #6 of 6

If you re covering the cake with icing alone, when it s dry ( use a crusting buttercream recipe), apply luster spray on it. I heard www.globalsugarart.com has it. Just google: luster spray for cake.
You can also go to a cake decorating store like michaels and ask.

If you re covering the cake with icing then fondant on top, you can use the pearl dust I originally spoke to you about and the other member as well ( the one telling you to use the brand called americolor).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%