What Were U Thinking?

Decorating By rosech Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 7:37pm by Sparklekat6

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 11

So I went thru a busy week. Coming from work and bake, make bc, decorate. Sleeping around midnite. Today I come home planning to relax and prepare for next week's orders. Someone calls me wanting help. Apparently she took an order. It involves 3D beer bottle, handbag, shoes and a key. She tells me she does not know how to come up with certain colors or make the ascents. She has not used fondant before. Delivery is tomoro!! She does not even have a table for rolling fondant on!! Why did she take the order? I was nice and came up with some excuse but hey. A lot of times we offer advice to each other here and I appreciate so much. However I think some things are way off, dont u think? Thank u for listening.

10 replies
Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 11

WHOA!!!! Time out. Do you know this person well? Or did she just look you up in the local yellow pages and then ask for advice? I mean that's really different than going on cakecentral.com to ask for help. It's like being new in real estate and calling a different Realtor you don't even know to ask how to get a house listed, WITHOUT paying them. People are soooooo weird!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 11

I get that kind of thing all the time, believe it or not. I don't mind giving advice, and I do answer emails form other decorators all the time, but I've had people send me a one-line email saying "I want detailed instrucitons on how you made your pirate ship cake with all the steps listed." For things like that I say no. Or I mke a tutorial and sell it to them icon_twisted.gif

Sparklekat6 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 11

WOW you're a lot nicer than I would have been. I'd just say it was a company secret. Holy cow!

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 11

Dang!

I know I dont know nearly what most on here do since it is just a hobby for me, but why would she wait until the day before it was due to get help?

I understand asking for help... whether in person or online, but the night before... that is more procrastination than even I have... well sometimes icon_rolleyes.gif

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 11

double post

fedra Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 11

double post

fedra Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 11

WOW! That lady bit off wayyyyyyy more than she can handle. I was teaching WIlton classes for a while. Most of the students just wanted to do it as a hobby but I had a couple who just wanted to take the classes that month to start their business and fulfill an order next month. I had one student in particular who would email me almost daily about wanting advice on how to do this or that because she had a cake due in a couple of days. I was REALLY nice and helped her out, even with pricing some of her cakes. It turned out that she priced them super cheap anyway, to gain business. Well, in the end, she ended up closing down shop because she realized that she was just not good enough yet (and was in the red from under-pricing). This was about 4-5 months after taking her first Wilton course with me. People just don't get it sometimes.......

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 11

This happens to me all the time.

People watch a couple of youtube clips and think they are RBI.

Then when they can't do it they call and demand recipes with detailed instructions, video tutorials with detailed intructions, step-by-steps with detailed instructions, detailed pricing advice, etc.

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 7:14pm
post #10 of 11

She goes to the same church i do and she heard about my skills. Maybe given my number or took from facebook.

Sparklekat6 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 11

That makes me feel better. At least there's some kind of connection!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%