Carved Cakes

Decorating By softgreenside Updated 22 Sep 2012 , 11:56am by softgreenside

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 7

hi
i'm sure this is a question that has been asked in the past. besides poundcake what other cake recipes are food for carving? i am trying to surprise my boss wih a cake in the shape of his porsche or as i call it his midlife crisis car. icon_smile.gif
any suggestions are welcome.

6 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 7

I prefer to use mudcake for carving , however this week I am carving a fruitcake into a porsche .

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 7

Carving any kind of cake is a LOT easier after you have chilled it overnight. Including cake mix cake.

lovinspoonfull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinspoonfull Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 7

In agreement with BakingIrene. I have carved scratch cake, boxed cake, and WASC cake, all with success. After chilling.

softgreenside Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 12:28am
post #5 of 7

i will chill it just trying to figure out flavours as i know he likes chocolate and wto avoid pound cake. i have never done mudcake. anyone have a good recipe?

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 22 Sep 2012 , 3:46am
post #6 of 7

200g of good eating dark chocolare
250g butter
1 1/2 cups castor sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1 tblsp instant coffee

1cup plain flour
1cup self raising flour
1/3 cup of cocoa powder
2 eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.

Combine first set of ingredients in a large saucepan and stir over low heat until all ingredients are melted and combined. Let cool for a half hour. Sift dry ingredients together , whisk into wet ingredients , add eggs and essences and bake in a well lined tin. I bake at 150 for the first hour and then turn it back to 140 until cake is done , it is ready when a toothpick comes out almost clean. Leave to cool overnight in tin. I bake my mudcakes up to three days before I start to carve them . Just wrap them up in some cling film . You can also throw them in the freezer for a couple of days as this enhanced the texture. Mudcake should never be eaten "fresh"

softgreenside Posted 22 Sep 2012 , 11:56am
post #7 of 7

Thank you very much for the recipe I will definitely give it a try. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%