So Stressed! Cake Due Tomorrow

Sugar Work By stephdover4 Updated 20 Sep 2012 , 7:43pm by LisaPeps

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 3

My problem is I am making candy "jewels" for the cake I have made several batches and they look great when I first pop them out of the molds. However, after several hours they begin to get sticky. It is a little humid here what can I do?

ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
¾ cup water

I heated it to 300 as recipe stated but each batch has done the same thing earliest ones are loosing their shape now.

Anyone had this trouble? what did you do to correct the problem? Your advice is appreciated!!

Stephanie

2 replies
Jessielynn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessielynn21 Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 3

I have never made sugar gems but if you go to makeit-loveit.com there is a tutorial series called make a cake. There was a tutorial on how to make sugar gems and the gal had the same problem and it should say how she fixed it. Hope this helps!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 3

It's because they are getting humid, you need to store them in a tub with desiccant in it. It's those little packs you find in new handbags and shoes (silica gel), they absorb the humidity out of the air. You can buy it in big tubs and just pour a bit in an airtight tub, lay some parchment over it then aid your sugar pieces. Alternatively you can spray your pieces with confectioners glaze (edible lacquer), that way humidity won't affect them at all

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%