Edible Images

Decorating By bengals Updated 28 Sep 2012 , 10:59am by Marianna46

bengals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bengals Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

I'm making a drum cake for a friends 21st and I'd like to have 2 edible images of him as a child and as he is now "bursting" out of the cake. I have never worked with edible images before so I got some spare ones and was wondering if floristry wire would be strong enough to support this idea?

Any help or suggestions with this would be most appreciated

Many Thanks

Dee

2 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 7:52am
post #2 of 3

I don't think wire on the image will be strong enough to hold it up. I would put the picture on a gumpaste plaque.
Roll out some gumpaste at least 1/4" thick. Then put your picture on top and cut around it. Lift the picture and LIGHTLY brush some water on the gumpaste, just enough to make it sticky. Not too wet or your image may dissolve and smear. After 24 hrs your gumpaste will be dry enough for you to pick it up. I usually melt some white chocolate and use it as glue to stick a lollipop or popsicle stick on the back. Once the chocolate has hardened, stick it into the cake. I hope this will help you!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 10:59am
post #3 of 3

Dora's right. I always put my edible images on either fondant or gumpaste (depending on whether I want them flexible or stiff) if I'm not placing them directly on the cake. Gumpaste is exactly what you need for stand-up figures. This cake sounds like a great idea, by the way, bengals!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%