Is Duff Brand Fondant Really Fondarific?

Decorating By DeliciousDesserts Updated 20 Sep 2012 , 11:49pm by DeliciousDesserts

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 6

For some applications, I really do like the duff brand fondant. It's so much more expensive than all the others. I've heard rumors that the Duff brand is fondarific. Does anyone know if it really is?

5 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 6

I've heard rumors of that too. My experience may be an anomaly, but I bought a small tub of the black at Michael's a year ago when my local cake shop was out of black (graduation time). It was like $20 for 2 lbs. That fondant goes down in history as the worst fondant I have ever used. It was hard, dry, crumbly, came out of the container in pieces. I will never buy his brand again.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts

For some applications, I really do like the duff brand fondant. It's so much more expensive than all the others. I've heard rumors that the Duff brand is fondarific. Does anyone know if it really is?

According to one blog poster, she spoke directly with the developer/maker of Fondarific and asked point blank if Duff's was, indeed , Fondarific. The woman refused to "confirm or deny"---a typical answer when there is a special licensing agreement in place.

I've compared the ingredients & nutrition labels and they're very similar, but not identical, with pretty minor differences (+/-10 calories/serving, +/-1% fat, +/-4% sodium). Again, may be enough to claim 2 different product so that in some sense, you're not competing with yourself.

I've used & tasted both. I can't tell the difference--except in price.

Rae

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 6

I just bought a container of dark brown Duff's "fondant" which isn't really fondant but candy clay. I'm mixing it with MMF to cover a cake in brown - I'll need to add lots more brown coloring and some black but I keep a tub of both brown and black on hand because both are impossible to make on my own). Once it's microwaved for a few seconds, it's wonderful. P.S. I only purchase it when I have a 50% off coupon for Michaels so it costs me $10.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts

According to one blog poster, she spoke directly with the developer/maker of Fondarific and asked point blank if Duff's was, indeed , Fondarific. The woman refused to "confirm or deny"---a typical answer when there is a special licensing agreement in place.

I've compared the ingredients & nutrition labels and they're very similar, but not identical, with pretty minor differences (+/-10 calories/serving, +/-1% fat, +/-4% sodium). Again, may be enough to claim 2 different product so that in some sense, you're not competing with yourself.

I've used & tasted both. I can't tell the difference--except in price.

Rae

That was me from my review blog... I did a side-by-side comparison of the two. No, they're not completely the same. They're similar as far as I can see, and I do think that they have some kind of licensing agreement with them, but the two products are not exactly the same thing. Here's the blog entry: http://www.reviewsbyacaketoremember.blogspot.com/2012/03/fondarific-fondant-review-part-3-is-it.html

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Sounds like they are very similar but different. I think I'll have to try some Fondarific!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%