Copyright Laws

Business By lisahandshoe Updated 18 Sep 2012 , 11:24pm by ajwonka

lisahandshoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisahandshoe Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 4

where do i find guidelines for selling cakes and copyrighted items?
for instance can I make a football helment and make it red and grey and put letters OSU on it? or is that copyright infringment?

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 4

If you are copying any logo for a product that will be sold, given to someone else, or displayed publicly, you need to obtain permission from the copyright owner first. If you contact OSU they can tell you whether or not it's OK.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 4

I received "one time use" permission from Mizzou for a grooms cake. I was using their logos and having them printed as edible images. The university was very, very quick & easy to work with.

I contacted the Administrations office and they put me over to the person in charge of such things (it can vary from place to place). I was asked to e-mail a short e-mail and I received the approval in reply. I didn't have to pay anything for the right to make the cake, either.

By doing so, I was able to put up photos of the cake without worrying about a problem down the line. I also didn't have to worry about someone else posting the pics and having the cake traced back to me. Also, the place doing the images required the permission before they would replicate them for me.

Probably worth a call to the school.


ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 4

I've always had good luck getting permission from universities! They probably want to keep their alumni happy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%