Princess Barbie And Tangle Princess Cake Problem

Decorating By justpracticecakes Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 5:24am by WickedGoodies

justpracticecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justpracticecakes Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 6

I made a princess cake with the wilton princess cake pan and i am getting orders for the cake like crazy !!!!!!!! I used the doll pick that came with the pan. My problem is the ladies who are ordering the cakes do NOT want me to use the doll pick. They want me to use the whole doll. So i bought a barbie doll and took off the outfit and just pushed the doll down into the cake . Easy enough. But the dolls are too tall !!!!!! The wilton princess pan makes a dome cake that is about four inches too short. I see cakes in the gallery that used the tangle barbie that i have an order for by friday.how did they do it ????? How can i use the wilton pan and use the whole doll. The doll is twelve inches tall. The wilton pan about eight inches tall. Has anyone made this cake and used the whole doll?????????

5 replies
Jessielynn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessielynn21 Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 6

I made my niece a barbie cake earlier this year and ran into the same problem. I baked a two in round that was the same diameter of the bottom of the dome pan and decorated it like it was a little stand the princess was standing on if that makes sense? It turned out way cute and made the cake the perfect height.

justpracticecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justpracticecakes Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 6

How did you stack it ? Did you put the princess cake right on the cakes with out a board so the legs could go down into the other cakes on the bottom.??? How did it hold the princess cake ?? I thought about putting a hole in the board but i dont know how much support that would give it. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Jessielynn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessielynn21 Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 5:45am
post #4 of 6

I just set it right on top and stuck the barbie through. It didn't sink at all and looked cute. I'm sure you could do a board and cut a hole but I didn't feel it was necessary because it was only a small round layer. I wish I had a picture, I'm terrible at getting pictures of my cakes.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 6:28am
post #5 of 6

You might try putting another round cake under the princess pan (if you're already using one, try using two). That way the dress would be longer. You'd have to support the bottom layers, but I don't see any problem with cutting a small hole in the cake circle so the doll can go through. Actually, I don't have the princess pan, but I've done sculpted cakes like this and that's basically what I do when I have to use a whole doll.

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 8:23am
post #6 of 6

No need to use the Wilton pan. Just bake a cake in an 8" (at the mouth) bowl then invert it after baking/filling. That will create the domed part. Add an 8" diameter cylindrical cake (or any cake that is roughly the same width as your bowl's diameter) to the bottom to give the skirt height. Using a bowl + cylinder, you can tailor a doll cake to fit any sized torso.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%