Why Can't I Get Nice, Uniformly Rounded Cupcake Tops

Decorating By Sandylee05 Updated 25 Sep 2012 , 4:54pm by nannytime1945

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 1:34am
post #1 of 6

Am I over beating the cake mix? It seems that lately I can't make a nice cupcake. Sometimes they rise straight up and sorta fall over showing the imprint of the cc paper. Other times they seem to spill over the cc paper to the side (like a blow out).
I bake cc at 350 degrees. I've been mainly using Pillsbury because they seem to rise up more than the Duncan Hines. Do you leave the batter lumpy?

Thank you!

5 replies
cole10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 1:58am
post #3 of 6

I have found that DH works better for me. If I fill the liners 1/2 full they rise nicely to the top of the liner so they can be frosted well. Also I found using an ice cream scoop, not quite full of batter each time allows for the same amount of batter in each. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 3:31am
post #4 of 6

I find that cutting back on the liquid slightly makes a stiffer batter which allows for a nice dome. So if the recipe calls for 1-1/4 cup, just add one cup.

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 11:29am
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try lowering the temp. after I put them in. It may be the consistency thing. I use DH for cakes, but the batter seemed to thin for cupcakes (causing it to rise and blow out the side). That's why I have been using Pillsbury for cc, but it seems too thick (so it rises and sorta tips showing the cc paper imprint). I will try using less water for the DH. Yes, I do use a scoop.
I was curious to see if anyone else had the same problem.
Thank you so much!
Sandy

nannytime1945 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannytime1945 Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 6

Do any of you have the liners come away from the cupcake after they set overnight????? I need help to stop this from happening

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%