Question About Sprinkle Cake Method

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 15 Sep 2012 , 11:43am by mbranko24

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 12:32am
post #1 of 4

I've read as many sprinkle cake posts as I can, but most just describe how to get sprinkles onto the sides of cakes, not the best way to get a nice even, thick, completely-covering coat of sprinkles for a true "sprinkle cake." icon_smile.gif

Anyone have any suggestions!? I have a three-layer chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream (BakingJeannie's recipe for Fluffy American Buttercream that's close to SMBC) and white chocolate ganache outside. I thought that if I covered it with a thick layer of ganache, and froze, I might be able to "roll" it like a tire icon_smile.gif

I'm now having doubts!!! :/

3 replies
mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 1:17am
post #2 of 4

There is a very lengthy and detailedtutoril in the Tutorial section, I or get who did it but it was a few months ago. I forget the method they used but maybe that can help.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 2:01am
post #3 of 4

Thanks, mbranko24! I read it. . . but she says the same thing: moisten and toss icon_smile.gif

****PERSONAL TIPS****

BUT OMG, I didn't know what to do, because I had I just covered it with my last drop of ganache (and I had no more white chocolate to make more, and no time for ganache to set up anyway). So, I wasn't sure what to use to stick the sprinkles with--I had no more chocolate, and I knew corn syrup and/or would just bead up on top of the ganache.

I had frozen the cake before covering in ganache. After the ganache, I just let it sit out to come to room temp, as I browsed CC to see what to do icon_smile.gif

When I set up to start brushing with corn syrup, I noticed that the ganache was sweating a little--it was still firm for the cake, but soft on the very outside.

I threw a few sprinkles on top, and THEY STUCK perfectly!!! So, I just went for it, and it WORKED!!! It literally took me 7 minutes to cover the entire cake completely and with no empty spots! I'm SO excited! I hope others come here looking for tips icon_smile.gif

ANOTHER TIP I figured out--and it solves many others' problems with flying sprinkles icon_smile.gif--is to use a piece of giant-roll paper as your 'mat' when doing this. I always have a roll, because I have young kids.

My cake was on its 12" scalloped finish board which I set in the middle of a 24" x 36" piece of paper. I taped it to the table with only a short piece of tape in only the middle of each side, because then the paper still wanted to roll up, creating a 'bowl' for any sprinkles that made their way down.

After I was done covering the cake, there were piles of sprinkles at the base of the cake on the cake board *and* all over the paper mat. I lifted the cake base, and gently tilted, while tapping the bottom with the other hand. All of the excess sprinkles dutifully dropped to the paper, which I then funneled back into my sprinkle bag. icon_smile.gif

I then used both of my hands to gently press along the top of the cake to sharpen the edge--similar to the motion you use with two fondant smoothers, to get a sharp top edge on a fondant covered cake.

All in all, I think the Cake Gods were smiling on me tonight icon_smile.gif

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 11:43am
post #4 of 4

I'm so glad it worked out for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%