Help Me! My Smbc Is Too Thin

Decorating By bltaylo3 Updated 15 Sep 2012 , 12:28am by KoryAK

bltaylo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bltaylo3 Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 6

I followed the directions exactly. But when I added the butter, it never had that curdled appearance and then became too soft. Do I have to start again? icon_cry.gif

5 replies
kellyd01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyd01 Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 6

Is it warm where you're working? Or was your butter too soft? You might try putting it in the fridge to firm up, then letting it come to room temp again and rewhipping. SMBC is a thin consistency icing to begin with I think. Have you made SMBC before to know this version is too thin?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 6

Stick the mixer bowl in the freezer for a while, and then whip it again. Don't freeze it completely, just leave it in there long enough for the butter to harden up a little.

bltaylo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bltaylo3 Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 6

I am trying to chill it and re-whip. I have made it before, but I thought it was softer due to the fact that I used egg whites from a carton. This time I used real egg whites. I assume that I will have to refrigerate the cupcakes once frosted to keep this stuff from sliding off.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bltaylo3

I am trying to chill it and re-whip. I have made it before, but I thought it was softer due to the fact that I used egg whites from a carton. This time I used real egg whites. I assume that I will have to refrigerate the cupcakes once frosted to keep this stuff from sliding off.

Not necessarily. Once it whips back up it should be stiffer. It sounds like the butter or sugar was too warm when you combined them.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 12:28am
post #6 of 6

Yep, SMBC problems are almost always fixed with some temperature manipulation

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%