Satin Ice Gumpaste

Decorating By astroknix Updated 13 Sep 2012 , 1:10pm by astroknix

astroknix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astroknix Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 9:47am
post #1 of 5

Has anybody here worked with this? Is it possible to make fairly thin petals and leaves with? Just don't want to pay out £20 for two and half kilo tub if it's not going to be of use.
Along with Satin Ice fondant (has anyone used this?) there should be trial sizes.
Would appreciate any views you might have. Thanks.

4 replies
Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 10:35am
post #2 of 5

I have used both and love them, couldn't see myself using anything else. I get them very thin but I also use "the mat" which helps too.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 10:53am
post #3 of 5

I don't like the satin ice Gumpaste , it is too soft and doesn't dry like the flowerpaste I make myself, I use the Tylose , RI one.
I do use their coloured RTR , I find it very useful when colouring white fondant easily , I mix it with Bakels white RTR and really like the result. I do like their black RTR very much.

RTR = Ready to Roll or Fondant.

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 11:55am
post #4 of 5

I'm assuming that you are in the UK......like me?

I have a BFP account so as soon as Satin Ice arrived I ordered some - the good thing with BFP is I can buy it at a FRACTION of the cost that it retails for online. The gumpaste was £13, the fondant was really cheap to for the 9kg tub.

I have used the satin ice dark chocolate fondant before (I ordered it from the states) and the dark chocolate fondant is absolutely fantastic, I can't fault it. The white fondant was OK straight out of the tub, not fantastic, but not bad, HOWEVER don't ever colour this stuff. As soon as I kneaded in the colour the consistency changed and it didn't matter how long I left the fondant to sit...24 hours....48 hours...it made no difference - the minute you put it on the cake it tears and gets the most horrendous elephant skin I've ever seen. I still have the majority of my white tub and will probably save that for dummy cakes that I do in white only because it's just terrible after adding colour.

The gumapaste I didn't like to start with but that's because I was looking for a gumpaste that I could use to make rose buds and have it dry solid in about two days - this gumpaste never dried solid, not even after 5 days. However I have since found that I really like it for petals etc - so I now use the nicholas lodge recipe for making rose buds and have started using the satin ice gumpaste for petals etc.

Anyway I hope that has helped somewhat.

astroknix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astroknix Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

I'm assuming that you are in the UK......like me?
I have a BFP account

Anyway I hope that has helped somewhat.

Yes it has thanks nanefy and yes I am from from UK but have no idea what a BFP account is.

Mixed reviews then. I think I might stick with Regal Ice and Tylose - at least these are products I feel at home with. It sounds like it might be a bit like the Beau flowerpaste which I find too sticky. With Squire's FP you can't fail.
Thanks all for your imput - much appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%