Frosting And Tip Questions

Baking By DinasSugarShack Updated 18 Sep 2012 , 10:58pm by Barb1959

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 2:23am
post #1 of 6

I need to make some cupcakes to display at a wedding show. So I need the frosting to hold.
I have been using a frosting recipe for my cakes that really crust. While I don't mind using it, I was looking for a creamier option, so when it has been sitting out for a bit and you bite into it, it doesn't feel crunchy.
Also, I have tried the 1M tip and a larger version of it to pipe swirls , however they are not tight enough. Is there a better option out there? Or what am I doing wrong?
Thanks for the help
Dina

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 2:49am
post #2 of 6

Hi, it sounds like your frosting isn,t stiff enough. The 1M does great for me. What is your recipe?

sugarbabybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbabybakes Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 7:39am
post #3 of 6

Hi Dina! Without knowing your recipe, is it possible that you're not creaming the sugar and butter long enough? I've had problems with crunchy frosting when I've tried to hurry this step! icon_biggrin.gif You really want to let the mixer run for 4-5 minutes to get it past the wet cement stage. Hope this helps!

Sugar Baby
sugarbabybakes.blogspot.com

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 6

It is the saron zampito recipe for icing. It uses shortening not butter. I think that sometime it is too hard as opposed to soft.
Can any of you share a good recipe for cupcake swirls?
Thanks
Dina

sugarbabybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbabybakes Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 2:25am
post #5 of 6

The recipe I use is:

1 cup unsalted butter, softened.
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted.
1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
Pinch of salt.
4 tablespoons milk, if needed.

Beat the butter for a few minutes until it's light and creamy. Add the powdered sugar, bit by bit, until it's incorporated. Add the vanilla and salt, then drizzle in half of the milk. Beat on medium speed for three minutes. If you need a stiffer frosting, add more powdered sugar and beat. If the frosting is too thick, add a little more of the milk.

Good luck!
Sugar Baby @ sugarbabybakes.blogspot.com

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 6

I use almost identical recipe, except mine calls for 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening and no salt. I also find that after a while (and being refrigerated) it doesn't stay creamy. Would also like a frosting that is a little creamier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%