Can I Put My Cupcakes In The Box And Then Ice Them?

Baking By JPepper Updated 13 Sep 2012 , 1:40am by JPepper

JPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPepper Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, so I have an extremely busy weekend ahead of me. I have to bake a cake Friday night, then all day Saturday I am at a bridal show for another business I own and then on Sunday I have to have 60 cupcakes ready for an engagement party. On top of all of this, I work full time and have a two year old! Sometimes I kick myself for getting myself into these types of situations! LOL!

Anyway, to make icing the cupcakes on Sunday quicker, I am wondering if anyone has ever put the un-iced cupcakes in the box and then piped the buttercream on? I will be packing the cupcakes in a 12 cupcake plastic clam shell type container, not a cake box with a cupcake insert. I am thinking this will make the process quicker as I wont have to ever so carefully place the iced cupcakes in the plastic container.

Any advice on this?

Thanks so much in advance icon_smile.gif

Jennifer

8 replies
Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 9

I do this all the time and find it so much easier. Sometimes, I will even ice them on site because I goes so quickly. Good luck! and have a great weekend!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 9

I always decorate cupcakes after they are in the box!

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 1:24am
post #4 of 9

I always do that too, unless there are sprinkles on the top. I do those out of the box so the bottom of the box isn't covered in sprinkles.

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 1:36am
post #5 of 9

Me too, ice them in the box just being careful that the 'swirl' or dome of icing is lower tan the wall height of the box. Much easier this way!
You sound like you have your hands full...good luck thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 5:34am
post #6 of 9

Me too... in the box. But I like the way sprinkles look in the box.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 9

Yep I'm an in-boxer, toppings and all. I also often freeze them for like 20 minutes before delivery so I don't have to worry about messing up the icing when setting them up. (obviously skip that step if it's just a pick up)

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 9

I also do it in the box, then refrigerate for a bit to firm up the buttercream or ganache.

JPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPepper Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 1:40am
post #9 of 9

That's awesome! Thank you all so much for confirming that icing in the box is a good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%