Ummm .... Had To Take A 2Nd Look... Then A 3Rd ..

Decorating By Daltonsmomma Updated 12 Sep 2012 , 5:03am by Godot

Daltonsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daltonsmomma Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 3:54am
post #1 of 15

I get this message today and i am still in awe. No one understands the amount of work goes into any cake let alone a standing 3d ONE!

Hi! I would like to have a really cool sponge bob cake made! i thought maybe a stand up 3 dimensional one.. i have seen a few you have made and they are amazing.. im thinking maybe one with edible fondant charaacters mr.krabs, spongebob(SB being bigger then the rest tho) and squidward and patrick and plankton..O & sandy.. but id like to stay under $50.. $60 tops.. is this possible? i would need around the end of november.. first of December..

I seriously dont even think i could respond without loosing my mind! The internal armatures that these cakes require cost more than her budget.

14 replies
buttercreammgt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreammgt Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 4:13am
post #2 of 15

I get calls like that sometimes. I just calmly let them know I'm already booked for the day they need it. You don't need to waste your breath explaining to them how it won't work.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 4:43am
post #3 of 15

I love to educate people! (Former school teacher here) I tell them what a cake like they are asking for would cost, then tell them what their budget will get them. They need to know!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 8:38am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltonsmomma

... edible fondant charaacters ... i would need around the end of november.. first of December..

"Edible fondant" implies some knowledge of cakes to me, none of my non cake friends would ever call them that, although obviously the price she wants it for implies otherwise!!

Who doesn't know when their event is and has it "around" a date??

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 9:19am
post #5 of 15

Go on - tell it like it is - I dare you!!!!!

And I'll bet a pound to a penny she has already been turned away by someone else and she is just trying it on! Even a 'non-caker' would have some idea how much time, effort and cost is involved in creating such a cake.

CP xxxx

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 11:27am
post #6 of 15

Could be competition sounding out your prices, if I get emails like that, I try to google the person. Sometimes they use their real name, others use another name

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 11:38am
post #7 of 15

I get requests like that too. They do it in an hour on foodnetwork challenge icon_rolleyes.gif . Charge for your time and skill and educate your customer as to what is involved and the time it takes. Good luck...post pics

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 15

That same thing happened to me, though the lady had ordered a cake from me in the past and had a more realistic idea of pricing, but it was still twice what she thought it would be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

I love to educate people! (Former school teacher here) I tell them what a cake like they are asking for would cost, then tell them what their budget will get them. They need to know!

I agree! I let them know that it takes days to create all the little people and the internal armature is expensive and takes a day to get that cut and pieced together. Then I offer them an alternative, that is much less than the requested cake. Like a sheet cake to look like Sponge Bob. The lady I was speaking of did exactly that, and picked up her slab o' Sponge Bob last Sunday.

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 15

Annabakes...Slab o'Spongebob...Bawahaaaa!! That made me giggle..thanks doll!!

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky73

Annabakes...Slab o'Spongebob...Bawahaaaa!! That made me giggle..thanks doll!!

You're welcome! He really was cute, she said the arms and legs look funny on the other cakes she saw, but I didn't bother telling her that mine would've looked much better, lol. I took the opportunity to do an easy cake icon_wink.gifImage

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 3:01pm
post #11 of 15

Annabakes! That Sponge Bob is fantastic!! Truly, you did a wonderful job! If only I could do such neat and tidy work. For all time, when I see the Bob on tv..I will think of him as a Slab O' Sponge Bob.I love it!

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky73

Annabakes! That Sponge Bob is fantastic!! Truly, you did a wonderful job! If only I could do such neat and tidy work. For all time, when I see the Bob on tv..I will think of him as a Slab O' Sponge Bob.I love it!

Thank you! Not ALL of my work is quite so neat and tidy, I impressed myself with this one icon_wink.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 15

Easy response:

I'll be happy to create the cake you've requested. The cost for the cake will be $60. It will serve 4 people and will be 4" wide, 2" thick, and 6" tall. All 3D cakes require delivery and a 50% non-refundable deposit to hold the date. My delivery fee is $xx.
Prior to completing the contract on this cake, it will be necessary for you to obtain a release from Nickelodeon, Inc. that will give me the rights to create this trademarked character in cake. Please bring this with you when you drop off the $30 deposit--ASAP because dates between Thanksgiving & Christmas fill up quickly.

Yup.
Rae

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 9:29pm
post #14 of 15

Blakescakes! LMAO LMAO !!!!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 5:03am
post #15 of 15

Great reply Rae!

Cute cake, but since when is Sponge Bob an amputee?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%