Starting An At Home Cake Business In Massachusetts

Business By jg21410 Updated 10 Sep 2012 , 8:04pm by elliespartycake

jg21410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jg21410 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 4

I put in a call to my health department and all the requirements for my kitchen sound pretty simple. He told me I need to take the servsafe certification prior to inspection. I am just curious is there anything else I can do prior to the health inspection such as applying for a business license? And how do i go about registering the name that I want to use for the business, and is that something I can do now also? any other tips or things I can get started on at the moment? I wish there was a book on steps to this process, I feel lost..thanks!!

3 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg21410

I wish there was a book on steps to this process, I feel lost..thanks!!

When I started out more than 30 years ago I, too, had nothing to help guide me. Now there is a book, Start & Run a Home-Based Food Business. You'll find more info by clicking on my website link below. Then click on Bookshelf.

jg21410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jg21410 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 4

thank you so much! i will check out that book and your link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg21410

I wish there was a book on steps to this process, I feel lost..thanks!!

When I started out more than 30 years ago I, too, had nothing to help guide me. Now there is a book, Start & Run a Home-Based Food Business. You'll find more info by clicking on my website link below. Then click on Bookshelf.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 4

I too have a home based cake business in MA. The requirements for my kitchen inspection were pretty simple. I get a follow up inspection from the HD once a year and so far have had no problems. I got my ServSafe and registered my business at town hall (that allowed me to open a business checking account). Also, don't forget to obtain liability insurance (your home owners policy will not cover your business) and an LLC gives you further protection.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%