Tier Spacers?

Decorating By stephypoo99 Updated 10 Sep 2012 , 6:15am by KoryAK

stephypoo99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephypoo99 Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making my first four tier cake for a 50th wedding anniversary. The customer wants spacers with sugar flowers between each tier (they are paying for all of the sugar flowers to be bought). I am comfortable with everything except the spacers. SO, I have NO idea how to make the sugar flowers stay on/in them. There should be no empty space - all flowers. Any assistance would be helpful.(We are recreating a cake so not much room for creativity.)

4"
8"
spacer
12"
spacer
16"

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 8

What are you using as spacers? If using styrofoam dummies (and the flowers are on wires), you simply stick them in.

stephypoo99 Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 8

Well thats my question essentially. SHOULD I be using styrofoam? How would that support the tier on top? I planned on using dowels for the cake tiers. What are my other options?

The flowers that are eig bought have a medium thickness wire stem that is proably 2" long. Is that eough to hold?
LL

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 8

I've done this before (on a much smaller scale) and I took a round of styro then glued a round of foamcore board to the top and another to the bottom then put a ribbon around it to hide the foam - but you don't need the ribbon - you need the exposed styro to stick your flowers stems into. The internal supports under the foam sandwich keeps everything from moving - and then you insert sharpened dowels (shish kabob skewers) through it all for stability during delivery. However, I wouldn't stack more than three tiers in this case. And I'd arrive early to insert the flowers to prevent breakage during travel.

CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephypoo99

SHOULD I be using styrofoam?

I would.

Quote:

How would that support the tier on top?

Stryrofoam dummies are very strong... you could stand on them. They will support the tiers above as long as you use them correctly. Each dummy needs to be on its own board or separator plate to prevent the dummy from being pierced by the support system below.

Quote:

I planned on using dowels for the cake tiers. What are my other options?

Other options for a support system or other options for the spacers?

You could use hidden pillars for internal support, or taller hidden pillars partially exposed to create the space for the flowers as well as the internal support but it would be more difficult to fill the space without having the styrofoam to keep them in place.

Quote:

The flowers that are eig bought have a medium thickness wire stem that is proably 2" long. Is that eough to hold?

It's more than enough.

stephypoo99 Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you! That really cleared up my ervousness. Last question..... Where do I buy the foam? should my cake store have it? Sorry, this is my largest cake so far, and I am learning as I go!

CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 8

Google search for styrofoam cake dummies. I doubt that your local cake shop would have them in stock, but you never know if you don't ask. I'd purchase dummies that are 2" smaller in diameter than the tier above.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 6:15am
post #8 of 8

Or they should be available at your local Michael's

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%