Butterfly Cutters From China

Decorating By aisrad Updated 10 Sep 2012 , 8:40pm by ApplegumPam

aisrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aisrad Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 10

I am wanting to buy some fondant butterfly plunger cutters and have been able to find a whole bunch for cheap on ebay, but they are all coming from China. The price is really too good to be true, but my husband says he buys stuff from China all the time and it's all fine quality, it just takes a while to get here. Has anyone bought any cake decorating supplies off ebay from China before and been happy with them? I'm just concerned that since they are so inexpensive, that maybe they're not worth buying.

9 replies
ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 12:16am
post #2 of 10

Have got both the original PME plunger cutters and the cheap Chinese knock offs - some work better than others - have found the cheap snowflake ones to be the WORST! you don't get a nice sharp clean cut with some of them and the spring system doesn't always work so well or for too long.

BUT.... if the Chinese brand means that you CAN buy them as opposed to not being able to afford the entire range of the originals then thats something to consider.

I have the cheaper ones in the blossom cutters and they are fine

I brought a whole stack of the cheaper ones for my classes because...... there will always be ONE student that thinks they can pocket your tools at the end of their class icon_sad.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 12:54am
post #3 of 10

I am seeing some of the cutters at Michaels. They may have the butterfly ones. I have the pme ones also. good luck.

pummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pummy Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 1:13am
post #4 of 10

I've purchased some supplies from China. Had the same issue with the springs but found that the cutters worked better without it.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 1:24am
post #5 of 10

I have the expensive PME, Wilton ones AND the ones from eBay (China). They all seem to work just the same. I'd recommend placing the order.

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 10

Mostly everything you buy here in the US is from China anyway. I bought a bunch from Ebay and they work fine.

jonitagordon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonitagordon Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 10

Just a quick tip: always remember to look in the clay supplies section at the craft stores, Michael's especially. I have gotten plunger cutters there, all good "cake" brands, just hidden away in the clay section! Butterflies, snowflakes, leaves & blossoms, etc.

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 2:35am
post #8 of 10

Where do you think most things are made? China!

I've purchased a log of things on eBay and they are almost identical. The only disadvantage is the wait. Here in aus I need to wait for 3 weeks! But sometimes it's worth it!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 10

I'm at the source and I have bought them here.
My opinion, even if they look the same, they are not quite the same. They'll probably work, but they do break more easy. Either they are copies, or ones that didn't make quality control. I have both, real and fake, and wanted to check the quality. Do not use the fake (cheap) ones, if you have PMS or are stressed out, they will snap (I was stressed, if you want to know) Edges are not as sharp as the ones that are real, there is a reason, why they are cheaper. If you don't care, about neatness of cutting and are willing to replace in case of breakage (they will not refund anything) go ahead, I'm sticking to the real stuff

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

I'm at the source and I have bought them here.
My opinion, even if they look the same, they are not quite the same. They'll probably work, but they do break more easy. Either they are copies, or ones that didn't make quality control. I have both, real and fake, and wanted to check the quality. Do not use the fake (cheap) ones, if you have PMS or are stressed out, they will snap (I was stressed, if you want to know) Edges are not as sharp as the ones that are real, there is a reason, why they are cheaper. If you don't care, about neatness of cutting and are willing to replace in case of breakage (they will not refund anything) go ahead, I'm sticking to the real stuff

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%