Fondant/ Gumpaste Or 50/50 Mix Help!

Decorating By Crazboutcakes Updated 8 Sep 2012 , 9:07pm by carmijok

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 4

I need to make figures for the top of my daughters wedding cake. I see that there is many ways of doing it and really have not had much luck with them staying together. The pictures below are what I am trying to achieve, with Mrs Hulk throwing Mr Hulk over her shoulder. What I want to know is what is the best way to acheive characters that will not lose arm etc and be strong enough to achieve the total out come, etc.. and once dry how can I store them without falling apart? Any help and suggestions would be apprieciated.
LL
LL
LL

3 replies
eringm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eringm Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Crazboutcakes,
I have also had problems in the past with figure parts not staying together. I have tried the water/gumpaste glue but that didn't always work. I read somewhere on here that about using corn syrup. It works better for me but if you're not careful it can be shiny where the corn syrup oozes out a litttle. I also use small amounts of gumpaste painted with water for some parts. I am going to try the tylose and water mixture on my next figure.

I also use spagetti or toothpicks to hold arms, legs, etc together. I always tell people my figures are for decoration only. I always have lollipop sticks going through the middle of my figures for support with about 3 or more inches sticking out the bottom to put into the cake.

For drying I stick the the lollipop sticks from the bottom of the figures into a block of styrofoam. When the figure is completely dry I put a paper lunch bag over it to keep out the dust and to prevent fading until I put them on the cake.

Sorry I have no ideas how to have one figure throwing the other over the shoulder.

Hope some of this helps. I can't wait to see the figures and cake when you are done. Please post pictures icon_smile.gif
Erin

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 4

First, make an armature. Craft stores carry high gauge floral wire (1/8") that you can twist into arms, legs, etc.

Then, you can sculpt the figures around the armature. You're much less likely to loose an arm or leg.

Also, I would first make the hulk. When he is nice & dry, you can then sculpt the bride so she dries in place on top of him. Otherwise, you may not get the exact right fit.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 4

There is no law that says the entire topper has to be edible--especially if the bride wants to keep it. Use glue! I've hot glued many a topper if there were a fear of it coming apart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%