Any Advice For Cake Dummies??

Decorating By DianaC31 Updated 8 Sep 2012 , 10:12pm by BlakesCakes

DianaC31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaC31 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to making a wedding cake using cake dummies and I have never used them before - looking for any advice you have to give! It will be a 5 tier cake - smallest 6" tier on top will be actual cake for the bride and groom to cut into. Planning on using Wilton icing and fondant since it will not be eaten anyway. Any tricks or suggestions you have are greatly appreciated!!

4 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 5

I cover mine with shortening before I cover in fondant. To keep the tiers together, I insert a few toothpicks and a little glob of fondant glue. To keep the tier I'm working on from moving around (they are pretty light), I put a little piece of double sided tape between the dummy and turn table. That's all I can think of right now....

DianaC31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaC31 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you!!!

I just watched a tutorial on you tube and she just used water then left her fondant a little thicker to cover any imperfections in the styrofoam. Maybe I don't need the icing?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 5

Soften the upper edge to keep it from tearing the fondant.
Lightly cover the foam with water or shortening. Shortening allows you to easily remove the fondant to shift it's location.
Let each layer sit for a few hours to a few days to firm up the fondant. Less fingerprints.
Unless I am quilting a tier, I put the cake together with some piping gel between the layers before I decorate it.
Let it sit a few hours to meld together.
I now decorate it. The weight of the whole cake keeps it from shifting while decorating.
I often use a small amount of shortening instead of a liquid to attach fondant and gumpaste decorations to the cake. They can be easily removed and shifted with no damage to the cake.
You can start the dummy part of the cake any time. I find the longer it sits before a wedding the less damage there is to the finish of the cake.
All I make are faux cakes and this is what has worked best for me.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 5

Pretty much what Diane said above ^^^

I soften the top edge by sanding with fine grit sandpaper, an emery board, or by rolling the edge with my small rolling pin or on the counter.

I sand down any lines in the styro, too.

I fill in imperfections with crisco or royal icing and use crisco under the fondant.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%