How Do I Achieve This Look?

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 11 Sep 2012 , 1:27am by Debi2

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 2:05am
post #1 of 17

My daughter would like this design for her wedding cake and I'm wondering if you all think this is a fondant covered cake with the fondant/gumpaste cutouts added, or buttercream with fondant/gumpaste cutouts attached? Any tips would also be greatly appreciated! icon_wink.gif
LL

16 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 3:00am
post #2 of 17

Hi,

It could be either or of the two. But, It looks like fondant w/fondant cutouts.

Debi2 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by msthang1224

Hi,

It could be either or of the two. But, It looks like fondant w/fondant cutouts.

Thanks Msthang! I was thinking the same thing. I wonder which would hold up better? I have to travel an hour wtih the cake...but, luckily it will be in Feb, and not in heat of summer icon_wink.gif

Go-Wild-for-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Go-Wild-for-Cakes Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 17

What cutter or cut outs are these to achieve this look? This is beautiful, looks vintage!

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 17

I have done a cake similar to this and I did fondant with gumpaste cutouts, I ordered some molds from decorate the cake and used an exacto knife to cut out the others and piped royal icing . The molds just take a while.

Debi2 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbaker

I have done a cake similar to this and I did fondant with gumpaste cutouts, I ordered some molds from decorate the cake and used an exacto knife to cut out the others and piped royal icing . The molds just take a while.

I've seen several lace molds around, but I will check out the ones you mentioned! I think gumpaste attached to the fondant sounds like the perfect way to go too! Thanks for the tips!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 2:04am
post #7 of 17

I've done that cake before...It's fondant with fondant cutouts that have been overpiped with royal icing. Some of them are dried so they stand out from the cake a little, and others are applied directly to the cane then overpiped. The only cutters you need are regular flower and leaf cutters.

Debi2 Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 4:14am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I've done that cake before...It's fondant with fondant cutouts that have been overpiped with royal icing. Some of them are dried so they stand out from the cake a little, and others are applied directly to the cane then overpiped. The only cutters you need are regular flower and leaf cutters.

Thank you so much! I thought it looked like there was piping on alot of the flowers and leaves. Very helpful info! Good to know I will only need a minimal amount of cutters icon_wink.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 3:34am
post #9 of 17

This is from the description of the cake on the Martha Stewart Weddings site:
"To evoke a hip '60s dress crafted of embroidered lace blanketed with cotton floral appliques, cake designer Ron Ben-Israel created silicone molds of appliques inspired by the original fabric -- no small task considering there were 25 shapes to replicate, including dahlias, roses, and periwinkles. Sugar paste was pressed into each mold, then applied in layers to the fondant. The resulting ivory tower is one that both generations -- yours and your mother's -- will adore."
http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/231247/fabric-inspired-wedding-cakes/@center/272453/wedding-cakes

costumeczar Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 10:44am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

This is from the description of the cake on the Martha Stewart Weddings site:
"To evoke a hip '60s dress crafted of embroidered lace blanketed with cotton floral appliques, cake designer Ron Ben-Israel created silicone molds of appliques inspired by the original fabric -- no small task considering there were 25 shapes to replicate, including dahlias, roses, and periwinkles. Sugar paste was pressed into each mold, then applied in layers to the fondant. The resulting ivory tower is one that both generations -- yours and your mother's -- will adore."
http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/231247/fabric-inspired-wedding-cakes/@center/272453/wedding-cakes

that's a load of crap, those are regular cutters that are overpiped. MS tends to "embellish" details, shall we say.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 17

Martha? Embellish? Gracious! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 3:59pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

Martha? Embellish? Gracious! icon_smile.gif

heh heh heh icon_rolleyes.gif

Debi2 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 8:13pm
post #13 of 17

I didn't realize the cake was made by Ron Ben-Israel. I agree Martha does tend to over exagerate. Ha ha I am hoping to make a trial version this week or next, using costumeczars method/instructions : )

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 8:47pm
post #14 of 17

Good luck with the cake, Debi2. It's really beautiful.

costumeczar Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 12:13am
post #15 of 17

Make sure that you do the cutouts slightly more ivory than the base fondant, that's what sets the design off from the base.

Debi2 Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 1:21am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Make sure that you do the cutouts slightly more ivory than the base fondant, that's what sets the design off from the base.

Thanks...I totally agree! icon_smile.gif

Debi2 Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 1:27am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Good luck with the cake, Debi2. It's really beautiful.

Thanks Marianna46, I hope I can do it justice and pull it off! I really appreciate everyones help and support! I'll report back after I give it a go. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%