What Do I Need To Pass The Cottage Food Inspection?

Business By scrumdiddlycakes Updated 12 Sep 2012 , 1:50am by ChardBakingCo

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 6

I apologize if this has all been asked before! I did a search but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.
I have just moved to Washington state, and was thrilled to learn hey have a cottage food license.
Until now I ran a cake/cupcake business, but with a storefront and a commercial kitchen in Canada, and I'm having a heck of a time finding info online or through the local health department office.

I live in a condo, and don't want to pay the $230 for the application/inspection as well as the food handlers and business license fees, if there is a chance I won't pass!

All I could find was that the area where the food will be prepped and cooked cannot be carpeted.
I have no children or pets, so those parts don't concern me.

I know they also inspect the bathroom, even though my kitchen and entrance are tiled, i have to walk over carpet to get to the bathroom, is that a no-no?

I am mainly interested in selling cupcakes at the local farmer's markets, so what about where they go once they are baked?
Can they go in my kitchen refrigerator, or be boxed up and put on my dining room table? (that area is carpeted)

Any advice is more than welcomed!

5 replies
kgorhan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgorhan Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 6

I am very interested in this topic as well. I am in Florida and called the local health department and got no help. They didn't say anything about needing a license though.

I unfortunately do have three cats and a dog. Can anyone tell me if FL has guidelines on pets for cottage food operators?

I just found out about this new law and am hoping to be able to help supplement my husband's income. I have not been working since March when our son was born. I have been looking for something that allows me to be at home with him and still make some kind of a living.


Pam78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam78 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 6

Try checking out your state department of agriculture. Their the ones in the state of Minnesota two get the information on what you have to do for selling from the home. In MN you don't have to worry about haveing a license to sell at the framers markets just a sign telling people that the food does not have to be state inspected. Hope this helps you out.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 6

I suppose you've seen these:

I'm in Seattle, but I do not plan ever to sell baked goods, so I haven't researched the cottage food law in Washington. There are others here in Washington State, so I hope they chime in. Good luck.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 12:52am
post #5 of 6

The laws do vary by state. I am in Texas and we have a CFL but we cannot sell at places like Farmer's Markets. All transactions must be made at home. Check your state laws.

ChardBakingCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChardBakingCo Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 1:50am
post #6 of 6

I live in Maine, so things may be a little different.

Here is a decently detailed article about the requirements for this state. There is some information that would not be relevant: http://www.mofga.org/Publications/MaineOrganicFarmerGardener/Summer2008/Licensing/tabid/948/Default.aspx

My inspector was at my house for a total of 10 minutes. We chatted about my food handling experience, and she made sure I had a two bay sink, and told me to move my plants. That was it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%