Ideas For A Plethora Of Apples...

Baking By mhcl Updated 6 Sep 2012 , 2:50pm by cblupe

mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 15

I have a ton of apples (and from what I hear, more on the way) sitting in my kitchen just waiting to be made into something yummy. I've made enough applesauce to last us a year, I'm making some apple pies of course, and thinking about trying to make some apple butter and even apple brandy. Any other ideas for recipes either for eating right away or preserving? Or even your favorites for any of the other things I've mentioned above?

14 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 15

... apple crisp and baked apples... I am only able to think in terms of baking icon_biggrin.gif

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 15

You could always dry some of them.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 15

Apple Snow.... delish.
It won't use all your apples - but its a start.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/apple-snow/

If you eat pork in your household this recipe goes beautifully with pork -
something different to your traditional apple sauce.

It looks great if smudged across the plate (as decoration) or (if you have the time) piped in three little dollops along the side of your plate...

So easy - so delish - so snow like thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue

Bluehue Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 15

Andddddd - apple sponge -
This link even shows the recipe steps - lolll.
http://www.enjoyyourcooking.com/desserts/sponge-cake-with-apples.html

Bluehue

Bluehue Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 15

Andddd a favourite in this household - Apple Tarte Tatin...
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/27289/apple+tarte+tatin

Bluehue

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 15

Apple Crumble... Typical Brit dessert! Served hot with hot custard... Yummy!!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 15

How I envy your apple crop. What my late frost left, ended up in the stomachs of coons and possums. One solitary apple doesn't provide much to be able to make all the wonderful apple recipes I've collected over the years.
Here are three of my favorites:

APPLE BARS

1 C. + 2 Tbs. Shortening
2 3/4 C. Flour
1 t, Salt
Milk
1 Egg yolk, slightly beaten
1 C. Crushed corn flakes
7 - 8 C. Thinly sliced pared apples
2/3 C. Sugar
1/2 t. Cinnamon
1/4 t. Ground allspice
1 Egg white
1 C. Powdered sugar
1/2 t. Vanilla
1 - 2 t. Water
3 T. Finely chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350. Cut shortening into flour and salt until pieces are the size of small peas. Add enough milk to egg yolk to measure 2/3 C. Stir into flour mixture until pastry almost cleans side of bowl. Gather into a ball, divide into 2 equal parts. Shape each part into flattened round on lightly floured board. Roll 1 part into rectangle 15x20". Place in jelly roll pan to cover bottom of pan. Sprinkle crushed cereal over pastry in pan. Mix apples, granulated sugar and spices. Spread over cereal. (This helps to absorb the juice.)
Roll remaining pastry into 15x20" rectangle. Gently place over apples. Beat egg white until soft peaks form; spread over pastry. Bake until crust is golden brown, 55-60 minutes. Mix powdered sugar, vanilla and water until smooth and creamy. Spread over warm crust. Sprinkle with the nuts and cut into bars, about 3 x1 1/2 ". Makes 30 bars.

This recipe will help you to use some of your abundant applesauce:

APPLESAUCE CAKE ROLL

1 C. Flour
1/2 t. Baking powder
1/2 t. Baking soda
1/4 t. Salt
1/2 t. Cinnamon
1/4 t. Ground cloves
3 Eggs
3/4 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Applesauce
1/2 C. Raisins

FILLING

6 Oz. Cream cheese, softened
3 T. Undiluted canned evaporated milk
1 T. Orange zest
1/4 C. Sugar
Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices. Beat the eggs in a large bowl until thick. Gradually add the sugar, beating constantly until thick and ivory colored. Do not under beat. Fold in applesauce and raisin. Gently fold in the dry ingredients, one third at a time, until all dry particles disappear. Do not stir.
Grease jelly roll pan slightly, line with waxed paper, grease again, and flour lightly. Spread batter in pan. Bake 375 15 - 20 minutes.
Immediately turn out onto towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Remove paper and trim cake edges. Roll up in towel, starting with short end. Cool 10 minutes and unroll. Spread with the cream cheese filling, leaving 1/2" uncovered along far end. Roll again and chill on serving plate, seam side down. Dust with powdered sugar and cut into 10 slices.

OK, this last one is a variation on baked apples. My kids always loved this recipe. You can use the apples whole and cored, or as I've done, coarsely chopped.

BAKED APPLE CUPLETS

1/4 C. Sugar
1/2 t. Cinnamon
6 Apples, pared and cored
2/3 C. Flour
1/4 t. Baking powder
1/8 t. Salt
2/3 C. Sugar
1 Slightly beaten egg
3 T. Melted butter
1 t. Vanilla
Combine sugar and cinnamon. Roll the apples in the mixture. Place in buttered custard cups. fill centers with remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture; set aside.
Sift flour, baking powder, slat and the 2/3 c. sugar. Combine egg, butter, and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients. Beat well. Spoon 2T. of the batter over each apple. Bake in 375 degree oven 40 - 45 minutes, until apples are tender.

I could go on and on, for I adore apples and find so many uses for them. I've also made delicious vinegar from the peels and cores. What's left goes out in the compost... or fed to the chickens.

Think of me when you enjoy your bounty. I hope this helps.

Jan

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 15

During peach season I buy boxes of them to freeze. I have a Food Saver which keeps the peaches beautifully in the freezer but it will work with freezer bags. Just make sure you get as much air out as possible. It usually takes a couple of days but I blanch, peel and slice them. I turn some into puree and freeze in 8 oz packages which can be used in everything from ice cream to creme brulee. The rest I measure the amount I use in my pie and add the spices and flour per the recipe and freeze. That way I can make a peach pie at Christmas and all I have to make is the crusts. I also freeze individual slices so I can use them with different spices. They are great to use frozen in smoothies. I also puree mangoes. The only thing with making puree is that it will brown if their is any air in the bag when it defrosts. I don't know if the puree idea would be great for apples but the rest might work for you.

mhcl Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 15

Wow! Thank you everyone!
@Mimifix...I forgot to mention that I made applecrisp already and...ahem..have already eaten half the pan by myself...and the apple brandy is for a caramel apple pie icon_lol.gif
@bluehue...thank you for the apple sponge recipe! Looks delicious!
@LisaPeps...I will be looking into that apple crumble...the hot custard sounds good for a fall day!
@milkmaid42...so sorry for your apple crop! The crop around here has been affected too but lucklily one of my father's trees survived with a bounty. Thank you so much for your recipes. I can't wait to try them!
I also went to Walmart today to purchast a dehydrator but they don't have any in the store!!?? Probably the better question is why don't I have one yet icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks again everyone! I will have a busy week...and a full tummy icon_lol.gif trying out some new recipes!

Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 15

I am sooo jealous of your abundance of apples! I was really looking forward to making fried apples (great on ice cream, with pork chops, etc). Can't really add anything else, but have fun!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 15

Apple butter! Then you can whip it into cream cheese for a delicious filling.

mhcl Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 2:38am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Apple butter! Then you can whip it into cream cheese for a delicious filling.

Haa!! I sat down to rest my wrists from all the apple peeling for apple butter to read this! My first time making it and my house has smelled A-MA-ZING all day!! I've never made or eaten it before but mixing it with cream cheese sounds wonderful. Thanks for the tip! At the rate I'm going lately I'll probably end up just sitting and eating it with a spoon. icon_wink.gif

sexysnowtiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexysnowtiger Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 15

Apple Apricot Sauce it is delicious and apple jelly, apple turn overs. Oh I can't wait for Apple Hill to open so i can go buy apples so I too can start canning. Have fun and enjoy!

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 2:50pm
post #15 of 15

My favorite - caramel apples!
Yesterday I made apple cider cake balls, they were awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%