Gold Colored Icing

Decorating By francine1115 Updated 3 Sep 2012 , 7:15pm by francine1115

francine1115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
francine1115 Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I am trying to figured out how everyone is making realistic gold colored icing decorations out of buttercream.... I have always used yellow and a little orange color to make it but now I've been seeing actual gold color on some peoples cakes. Is there something I can buy to mix with my icing or do I have to paint gold onto my designs??? Please help, I'm going nuts....

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 7

Most likely it is being painted w/petal dust mixed w/vodka (or similar). You color the icing as usual, then paint on the mixed dust. To get a 'true gold' one must use metalic gold dust, which is really NOT edible. If you read up on it, it is always recommended whatever it is used on should be removed & not served.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 7

I use the edible gold piping recipe under most saved recipes on CC. Works great but it is not edible. It is also very expensive to make because it works best only with gold luster dust and the yield is a small amount to pipe with so you may need more than one batch.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 7

You can paint gold onto buttercream in small amounts, but to get the real metallic look that you're probably talking about you need to use fondant and paint the luster dust on like an acrylic paint. It just won't work right on buttercream,adn it will taste NASTY if you do it too thick anyway. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-get-gold-finish-on-fondant.html

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:

Awesome article! Did want to let you know that the link to your board doesn't work. I really wanted to see the examples, but can't.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 12:21am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts

Awesome article! Did want to let you know that the link to your board doesn't work. I really wanted to see the examples, but can't.

Oh yeah, thanks...I revamped my pinterest account and got rid of everything I don't have copyright permission for, or that isn't on a page with a pin it button. I read an article abotu a blogger who's being sued by a photographer for pinning a photo that ended up being his, and he's suing everyone for copyright violations, so down came the boards. Pinterest walks the line on that and puts the blame for any violations squarely on the shoulders of the pinners, not themselves.

francine1115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
francine1115 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks all, I was hoping not to have to paint so maybe I'll look into the recpe that uses clear gel...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%