Cake Decorating And Tennis/golf Elbow

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 4 Sep 2012 , 4:19pm by jason_kraft

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,

For the last 2 months my tennis elbow has gotten quite sore..It got really bad after a busy weekend at the end of June.It doesn't seem to be getting better as I am right handed and guessed it....that is the hand I hurt...It throbs at night and I rub ointement on it etc but almost everything I do around the house requires me to use my right arm...

so....Is there any advice or remedies anyone can suggest..If I go to the Dr. she will just suggest a Xray and say rest it icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif and maybe want to give me cortisone shots... thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

What have you all tried that seems to help... icon_wink.gif

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 1:30am
post #2 of 8

I'm so sorry to hear about your arm. Several years ago I developed carpal tunnel in both wrists and tenosynovitis in all my fingers, so I know the struggle we go through in trying to figure out how to continue working with our hands. For you, cortisone shots have given short term relief for some people. But honestly, there's no magic here for a disability such as yours. It's an overuse syndrome. This site has clear, expert information.

Tracey2528 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracey2528 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 1:59am
post #3 of 8

My mom has bad joint pain and she drinks I think a tablespoon of fish oil everyday. It really has helped a lot for her! I have tendonitis in my wrist, but it hasn't gotten bad enough for me to take fish oil (because that sounds awful to me). But, it does help, so if nothing else works I would suggest giving it a try.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks Ladies...I'm gonna check out that link..And if it comes to oil too....

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 8

If it continues, you probably need additional help. Of course you need to rest it, which is probably impossible, I'm guessing. Cortisone injections may help. Will probably help. Is there a reason you don't want them? They have saved many people from additional pain and treatment.

Are you able to take NSAIDs? Have you tried these? If you don't have hypertension or kidney disease, you should consider these. You might be amazed at the almost immediate relief you feel.

A pain management clinic can also get you a script for a topical medication that is comprised of several different ingredients (these are now made specially for your own needs). It might contain a topical NSAID, muscle relaxant, anesthetic, etc. These are often very helpful as well.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 8

Although I have sympathy for your unwillingness to go to a doctor, that is what you should do ASAP. Depending on your insurance program, you may need to see a General Practitioner first, then be referred to an Orthopedist, then be referred to an Occupational Therapist. (BTW, I worked with chronic pain patients for about 25 years. I've heard and seen this type of situation a LOT.)

Both the Orthopedist and OT will have some excellent suggestions. (Ignore whatever the Primary Care doctor tells you, they simply don't have the experience to deal with Cake Decorating orthopedic problems. Demand to see an Orthopedist or OT immediately. Tell them this links directly to your ability to earn a living.)

This type of pain/injury will only worsen if you don't give it time to rest. If you are self-employed and your only income is from cakes, then you may be eligible for some sort of disability.

If you are not able to have any income at all during a 3-4 week period, then you better start making some budget decisions right away.

I know it's a huge bummer, but that's the way it is. Cake Decorating is actually a high-risk occupation for various syndromes. OSHA has published some ergonomic guidelines that may help you in the long term.
Scroll down and click on "Bakery"

mallorymaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mallorymaid Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 8

I have developed golf elbow in both of my elbows and have a job in a bakery as well as baking from home. I purchased a support strap for both of my elbows that i wear when I am working and have been taking some anit-inflammatory meds. I have stopped taking orders from home so I am not working double time, to give my elbows some down time, and at work I ask for help from my co-workers whenever I have some heavy lifting to do as that seems to be the action that most affects my elbows at this time. I have noticed an improvement in the pain level and discomfort that I was previously experiencing. Now i just have to get on top of the carpel tunnel in my left hand/wrist, which is my dominant hand, I had my Dr. send in a referral to a specialist for it and just heard back that my appointment isn't until February 2013.....gotta love the wait times with our health care system!!!
Hope you find something that helps you and you get some relief!!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 8

I'm not sure what the rules are in Canada, but if you can show that your condition is preventing you from working, you may be able to collect disability insurance so you can afford to put your business on hold and rest your arm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%