Help - Smudging On Tiered Cake Bottoms

Decorating By CupcakeQT82 Updated 2 Sep 2012 , 1:43am by DeliciousDesserts

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 5

How do you keep from smudging the bottoms of each tier of the cake when moving the tiers from one place to the next? Especially when I go to place each tier on top of the last, I am having trouble keeping all the bottom edges nice and smooth. The wedding cake I just did lumped a little on the largest bottom tier and the mother of the bride noticed and I freaked out!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
This is especially difficult with fondant because you can't smooth it back as easily - at least I am having trouble doing so.

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 5

I replied to a similar thread "Any tips for stacking? Fingers/spatula in the way":
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=710889&highlight=fingers

I hope you find it helpful for the next one.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 1:08am
post #3 of 5

I use my large cake spatula. I twist it all the way around to kind of cut it off the board so to speak. With spatula in my right hand, I lift the tier and place my left hand under. Once I get it in the right spot, I tilt toward the back and gently remove my left hand still holding the cake a bit with my right hand and spatula. I still get a little bump here or there, but it's easily smoothed then I pipe the border.

rgraboski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rgraboski Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 1:27am
post #4 of 5

For buttercream, I place the supports in all but the top tier. Put the bottom tier on the cake base,Then stick all tiers in the freezer for about an hour. Pull out the bottom tier and the next tier up and stack. Pull out the next tier and stack, etc. Drive your dowel thru all tiers (to prevent tiers slipping). Decorate. If buttercream gets soft and it's difficult to decorate, into the refrigerator it goes.

For fondant, I cover the tiers the night before, place supports in, then refrigerate. The next day, pull the bottom tier out and start stacking as described above. When the fondant is cold, it is fairly firm and you are less likely to make mess when stacking.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 1:43am
post #5 of 5

I see alot of people who stack at home/bakery. My cakes are too heavy for that! Anything over 3 gets assembled on site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%