Putting Rolled Fondant On 2"x2" Square Cakes

Decorating By taztastic Updated 1 Sep 2012 , 9:37pm by ApplegumPam

taztastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taztastic Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on covering mini square cakes 2"x2" with rolled fondant as i have 52 to make for a wedding order! but some of the cakes will be very soft in texture such as carrot cake, is there an easier way of getting them covererd without them crumbling?

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 3

You are making these from a sheet, right?

Chill the sheet for 6 hours before you think about cutting it. Use a serrated knife. The hardest part will be to crumb coat them--make your buttercream softer than normal, it helps.

Then adding the fondant goes pretty fast.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 3

I HATE mini cakes!! I am still recovering from being stupid enough to agree to do 80 2x2's

Those little suckers took ME as long to cover ONE as I would to do a 10inch cake

Second time I used the Silverwood pans - and ended up only ganaching the tops - I did like the fondant cutter than came with this set though - it cuts your fondant in a cross shape and you secure the top (centre) and fold down each 'side' only have to smooth the join on each edge - found a ball of extra fondant really helped with this

IF I ever consider doing them again I will be charging $25 per mini cake !!!!!!!!!!!

Baking Irene .... what are YOUR tips for covering QUICKLY in fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%