Edible Images On Cakes

Decorating By CSIMisty Updated 1 Sep 2012 , 1:39pm by hbquikcomjamesl

CSIMisty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSIMisty Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 2:27am
post #1 of 8

Hi y'all!

I'm hoping someone can help answer my question. I'm making a cake for my sister's birthday (thankfully, I have a few months) but the one she wants includes edible pictures. I've seen them done but does anyone have any idea of places that would be able to transform pictures to edible images? For example, if I took 6 pictures to them, they would be able to transform them into edible images?

Thanks in advance,
CSIMisty

7 replies
sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 2:45am
post #2 of 8

I was able to get one from a baker. I called and asked if they could do it and she charged about six bucks to do it. I have heard that Sams club can do it, WalMart, etc.

buglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buglady Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 2:53am
post #3 of 8

Any grocery store that has a bakery and does the images for their cakes can make an image for you but they will charge from 4 to 6 dollars each. A lso they will tell you that once you leave the store with it they are not responsible for it. So if you let it dry out and get crumbly ( is that even a word??) they will not help you out.

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 3:14am
post #4 of 8

So what's the best way to store them before using?

CSIMisty Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 3:42am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the help! So exactly how do you store it? Would you wrap it in plastic or in an airtight container? Since this birthday is a few days before Christmas, I think I'll need to store it.

CSIMisty

CSIMisty Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 3:49am
post #6 of 8

Here is a link I found which I will be using when it comes time to put the edible images on. It even tells how to store them.

http://www.fillyourheartediblememories.com/How-to-apply-edible-images-24.html

buglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buglady Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 11:03am
post #7 of 8

They come in a type of plastic bag thing that light and air cannot get into. So I would say you could use a gallon ziplock but then you need to put it somewhere dark until you use it.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 8

The one I had made at the local cake supply was just slipped into an open plastic bag; as soon as I got it home, I inserted it into a zip-top bag, to give it a bit more protection.

I'd suggest that you might want to find your source first, then sit on that knowledge until a few days before the event, in order to minimize the possibility of damage, spoilage, bugs, &c.

I'd also suggest you follow my own course of action (see the thread at http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-748421.html for details), and do your first run for a less momentous event (but plan on doing the same things you're planning for your sister's birthday). The "Leland Awards" cake project is actually an excuse to try out the technology before I use it for my own 51st birthday, next June.

That said, if your supplier uses the same edible media as mine, you'll find that it handles very easily, far more easily than you can imagine: just trim to size, freeze, peel, line up, plop down, and press down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%