Doing Cupcakes For A One-Time Event... How To Predict #'s?

Baking By rowingmom Updated 24 Oct 2012 , 5:30am by SaltCakeCity

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 2

I've been invited to sell cupcakes at a 50th birthday event for a city landmark and am unsure of how many to bring down with me. The event is far enough away from my kitchen that I would not be able to send someone back to the shop if we ran out. There will be 6 bakers set up in the area, selling cupcakes for four hours and the organizers tell me they expect 30,000 people to attend the event. I'm sure that 30,000 is definitely at the high-end of expectations and I know that certainly not everyone will purchase a cupcake. All bakers must agree to sell them at the same price: $3.

I want to be able to take advantage of this opportunity and sell as many cupcakes as possible... but I also don't want to get caught out with the expense/wastage of producing many extras. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? How many would you go prepared with?

1 reply
SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 5:30am
post #2 of 2

Hey Rowing Mom,
This might be too late but I made the mistake of overshooting how many I thought I would sell. My venue restricted the minimum amount of sales to $6 for a pack of cupcakes and so it was definitely a much harder sell. Although i can't tell you how many to make, I can say to think of this as an advertising opportunity as well as a selling event. Getting my name out there during the event was definitely more profitable than selling the cupcakes themselves. I do hope you have a great event and it all goes well! Good luck!
Jennifer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%