Sweet Buttercream Recipe Thats Not American Buttercream

Baking By Razzylew Updated 21 Dec 2012 , 2:34am by yortma

Razzylew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Razzylew Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 19

Hi
I recently tried SMBC for the first time, and loved the texture of it and how light it is, but didn't find it sweet enough. Both me and my husband have a very sweet tooth. Previously I'd only ever used a butter or shortening, plus icing sugar (confectioners sugar) recipe, which I think is American Buttercream - I got it from Wilton.

Can anyone suggest a new, tasty buttercream (we're a bit bored of our usual Wilton Buttercream, and my husband isn't a huge fan anyway) that is sweeter than SMBC. I've heard a lot of talk about IMBC too, but from what I gather it is no more sweet than SMBC. There are so many buttercream recipes on here I couldn't possibly try them all!

Thanks
R

18 replies
lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 19

I arrived at the same conclusion icon_smile.gif I thankfully stumbled upon BakingJeannie's Fluffy Buttercream recipe and it is all I use now!!! And it's *much* easier and faster than I/SMBC.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/fluffy-american-buttercream

lrlt2000 Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 19

Forgot to mention: I have tried dozens of BC recipes, from crusting to non, flour and no flour, cooked and not cooked, dairy and no dairy, Dream Whip and no Dream Whip icon_smile.gif

The one I recommended is the best I've found (outside of I/SMBC).

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 19

Use this recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting

It's a hybrid between S/IMBC and American buttercream. Just don't use the Wilton meringue powder or it will taste sour. You can use all shortening, all butter, or any combination. It is light and fluffy and sweet, and very easy to smooth.

Razzylew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Razzylew Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 8:12am
post #5 of 19

Wow thank you for such quick replies. If I have time I will try them both this weekend and let you know which one I prefer icon_smile.gif (Or more importantly, which one my fussy husband prefers!)

lrlt2000 Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 19

Razzylew--definitely post back if you try them both! I'm interested in the comparison of BakingJeannie's and the one Annie suggested.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 19

I may be a bit biased, but I get rave reviews over my buttercream recipe. And it sounds like you don't have problems working with a non crusting buttercream. This is not an outdoor hottest day of the year buttercream, but it is tasty and sweet!

http://tinyurl.com/buttercreamtut (scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe)

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 19

You can add extra powdered sugar to both SBMC and IBMC as well as to French MCB made with egg yolks.

You can also increase the amount of sugar you cook at the start. Adding more sugar doesn't harm the recipe. Using less makes trouble.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 10:36am
post #9 of 19

Yes, if I make IMBC I add an extra half cup to the recipe. 1/4 cup to the syrup, and another 1/4 cup to the meringue.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 19

My go to recipe is IMBC, but occasionally I like a sweeter buttercream, especially for kid's cakes. Mix equal amounts IMBC with American buttercream. I use high ratio shortening and the whimsical bakehouse recipe for ABC, but I have seen other posts using a variety of recipes for ABC that mix with IMBC. It is sweeter than IMBC, but smoother and creamier than ABC alone. You can alter the relative amounts to taste.

kellyd01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyd01 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 19

I'm a fan of crumb boss's SMBC. She adds a bit of shortening for a little more stability and some powdered sugar for sweetness. It's yummy!
http://www.crumbboss.com/drum-roll-buttercream-is-here-tada/

TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 19

I second Fluffy American Buttercream. It's so easy to make and a little sweeter than regular american BC.

TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 19

I second Fluffy American Buttercream. It's so easy to make and a little sweeter than regular american BC.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 19

I totally love SMBC and I just recently found out that you can add some powder sugar for extra sweetness and stability and I totally LOVE it!! you can also add flavorings to SMBC ---

I think american buttercream is way too sweet and I hate the 'greasy' aftertaste...

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 5:42pm
post #15 of 19

wow i learn so much this site thumbs_up.gif

Sweetheavens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetheavens Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 2:04am
post #16 of 19

When you say to scroll down are you referring to the added bonus Mikes Buttercream?

Sweetheavens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetheavens Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 2:07am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

I may be a bit biased, but I get rave reviews over my buttercream recipe. And it sounds like you don't have problems working with a non crusting buttercream. This is not an outdoor hottest day of the year buttercream, but it is tasty and sweet!

http://tinyurl.com/buttercreamtut (scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe)

@Cupadeecakes when you say to scroll down are you referring to the added bonus Mikes Buttercream?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 2:34am
post #18 of 19

I too, love crumbboss' smbc recipe . very delicious!!!!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 2:34am
post #19 of 19

After reading posts on this site, i tried fluffy american buttercream (same as Mike's buttercream in the link above)  and I love it!  it is half way between IMBC and ABC without having to mix the two. I use it as much if not more than IMBC.  Thanks CCers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%