Sourcing Thin Cardboard Cake Boards (Uk)

Decorating By LizzieAylett Updated 30 Aug 2012 , 8:49am by Relznik

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I'm just starting out as a hobbyist, and a lot of the cake tutorials etc recommend the use of those thin cardboard cake boards on the bottom of each tier.

Can anyone please recommend a place where I can buy them in the UK (specifically Scotland). I've tried eBay and googling it, but either they're more expensive than the thick silver ones or come in massive bulk quantities. I'd only want a few of various sizes.

Thanks,
Lizzie

9 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 10

What the tutorials recommend is the standards bakers corrugated circle that has one side treated with grease resistant coating.

Please do not ask for "thin" cake cards as you will get the floppy things that are nowhere near adequate for moving tiers around safely.

Please search online for "bakers circles" and make sure the picture shows that it is corrugated.

SoDivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoDivine Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 10

Any local cake shop should have them and they are cheap!

You need to google "single thick cake card" or "board" and this will give you lots of options.

I know Cake Stuff is in Scotland but they are mail order only and the cost of shipping will be a bit disproportionate for a few thin boards....

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

What the tutorials recommend is the standards bakers corrugated circle that has one side treated with grease resistant coating.

Please do not ask for "thin" cake cards as you will get the floppy things that are nowhere near adequate for moving tiers around safely.

Please search online for "bakers circles" and make sure the picture shows that it is corrugated.

We don't have the corrugated cards here in the UK.

Lizzie - try www. almond art . com (remove all the spaces!)

They've just re-done their website, so I'm not sure where to find it... but if you type 'card' into the search box you will see all the cards they do (starting with white plastic, going on to the silver ones).

Hope this helps.

Suzanne x

LizzieAylett Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks, Suzanne, I've had a look at that site. It seems really good but when I tried to order it would only let me have the overnight delivery option for a much higher price than I am willing to pay. I've emailed their support to ask why I can't just get it posted normally, so will have to wait and see.

It's definitely a good place to get stuff if I can sort out the delivery issue.

Thanks.

Relznik Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 10

That's odd... I just logged in and, just for a test, added a 10" round cake card.

It gave me the option to have it sent 1st class for £2.50.

They should get back to you quite quickly tomorrow... I've always been very impressed with their customer service!

LizzieAylett Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 10

I did order several different sizes, so maybe it's too big for "normal delivery". If so, I'll just cut down my order as I was only getting more to save on delivery icon_smile.gif

Relznik Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, maybe... Speak to them tomorrow; they're ever so helpful! icon_smile.gif

LizzieAylett Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 8:40am
post #9 of 10

So, I just got a nice reply and they say that they will only post out if the order is under 1kg. Now I need to work out the maximum I can get, while still being under the weight limit.

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

Relznik Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 8:49am
post #10 of 10

I'd email them again and ask if they can give you an idea how many boards would come in under a kilo, then.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%