How Can I Make My Coloured Fondant Less Sticky / Tacky?

Decorating By bakeblisss88 Updated 31 Aug 2012 , 5:31pm by LisieAn

bakeblisss88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeblisss88 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 1:50am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

First post from me - lovely to meet you all icon_smile.gif

I had a look through some of the past posts but couldn't find what I was looking for, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating previous topics.

I am trying to colour my white fondant deep blue. It's starting to look good but it is getting way too sticky to work with. I did read here that I should let it rest for 24 hours. What do you think? Is there anything else I can do? Should I add tylose or will that just make it the wrong consistency for covering a cake? What about powdered sugar?

Thanks for your help!

BB

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 3:08am
post #2 of 7

When i color fondant some darker color, yes, it get sticky, I keep washing my hands, let the fondant rest a minute or so, then sprinkle some powder sugar and if it needs to be darker, i add some more color. wash my hands. let fondant rest and do the same thing, until i get it like i want it. Lotta work, but comes out great for me. hth

iliv4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iliv4cake Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 3:47am
post #3 of 7

I also will add powdered food color and try to start with colored fondant and then go deeper with the color if you can. I always have trouble making a nice hot pink that does not start looking to red icon_surprised.gif)

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 4:06am
post #4 of 7

Corn starch is the best for offsetting moisture in deep colored fondant. Powdered sugar has some corn starch in it but not a lot and the sugar, although fine and absorbant, still adds to the stickiness factor.

Straight corn starch is more absorbant than powdered sugar and is not sticky. Knead an equal amount of corn starch into the fondant as liquid food coloring. Then roll the fondant out in corn starch - not powdered sugar.

Sherri2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherri2012 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 4:12am
post #5 of 7

I use cornstarch, too. I add enough that it isn't sticky anymore.

Usually when I make my MMF it is sticky at first, but, then, after sitting for 24 hours, is less sticky. I would use a little cornstarch while mixing in your colors, but dont make it super dry. Then let it rest for over night. By the next day, it should be just right. But, if it's still sticky, add corn starch. If it is too dry, add a little shortening.

bakeblisss88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeblisss88 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:50am
post #6 of 7

You guys are seriously awesome! Thank you so much. Am off to buy some cornflour (I think that's the Aussie version of corn starch) and will try all of your tips. I am so grateful icon_smile.gif

LisieAn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisieAn Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 7

Another option is to start with a chocolate fondant for darker colors--depends ont he the color, but it's worked for me for darker colors before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%