Sugar Coating For Cake Pops

Baking By Surrealys Updated 29 Aug 2012 , 8:53am by Surrealys

Surrealys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Surrealys Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 4

Hi!

today I made cake pops the first time...

I wanted to coat some of them in sugar icing...

I'm from Germany, so there is no easy way to get these candy melting things... We don't have them in our stores...

I would have to buy them in strange online stores, where these things are often way after "Best before" icon_sad.gif

So I made sugar icing like my grandma did... Water, powdered sugar and a little bit rum...
And I put some edible color in it...

But first it was toooooo liquid, and it run of...

Then I made more sugar into it, and it was better, most of it stayed where it should, but it was so hard, some of my Cakes broke...

And it didn't get really smooth, it had bumps where the icing ran down...

Does someone have a recipe for icing for me?

I found two different on google... One was with egg white, the other with butter...

Can you help me?

Greetings
Nadine

--> sry for my bad english... -.-

3 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 12:30am
post #2 of 4

You can make dipping chocolate with real high-quality chocolate (in bars or blocks). I would temper the chocolate, rather than just melt it
http://allrecipes.com/howto/tempering-chocolate/
(ignore the chocolate chips and coins in step 2). If you use white chocolate and want to color it, you *must* use oil-based colors. Any water or ordinary food color will make the chocolate seize. If the chocolate gets too thick, you can re-heat a bit or thin with solid vegetable shortening or oil.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 2:24am
post #3 of 4

We make this sugar icing but we warm it gently. Some recipes add 10% of the liquid as corn syrup (dilute glucose). Recipes are usually called "quick poured fondant".

Use enough sugar to the cold liquid to make a thick paste, warm it in a bain-marie, and adjust consistency with drops of liquid when it is at 40C.

Then it pours/dips smoothly, and sets up with a shiny finish.

Surrealys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Surrealys Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:53am
post #4 of 4

Oh THANK YOU! You saved my cake pops ^^

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%