Cake Decorator Job In Europe?

Decorating By sugabear Updated 16 Oct 2012 , 11:31pm by Ursula40

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 5

Hello All!
I was wondering if anyone has any advice for finding a job as a cake decorator in Germany/Europe? Any advice/push in the right direction is appreciated. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 5

Germany will be difficult as there are not that many professional cake decorators around who are big enough to hire staff, plus you would need a work permit which are a PITA to obtain.

Whre in Germany will you be located?

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 5

In Germany only licensed pastry chefs (Konditor) with formal training are allowed to make and SELL cakes. If you come from a home baking background, you need to see whether the area you live in will allow you to order cakes from a Konditor and only you do the decoration. To do that you might have to take a test to get the permit. It's aparently different for several areas, you will have to ask around. Try the Handwerkskammer. Do not try to sell without proper papers

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the replies! I am located not far from Ramstein and have citizenship, so I won't need a work permit.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 5

I'm not talking about a work permit per se, but the permit to bake and sell cakes, that is a tightly regulated work in Germany, you actually need a Konditor title to do that, but those are the infos, you should try and get from the Handwerkskammer which is responsible for your area. Things work a bit different in Germany than in the States

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%