Two Toned Fondant? How?

Decorating By kellyd01 Updated 28 Aug 2012 , 8:23pm by Lynne3

kellyd01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyd01 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 7

I need to do a cake in 2 weeks and the fondant is supposed to be a two toned effect where the bottom is darker blue and fades up the side of the cake to a lighter blue.

Any suggestions for accomplishing this w/o an airbrush? I considered the color mist spray but have read that it doesn't come out evenly. If it glops up the cake I'm in a real bind. Any suggestions for making this work?

Thanks!

6 replies
abchambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abchambers Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry I can't help you with recommendations, but I can tell you that I had absolutely bad luck with the mists, especially on fondant. It didn't spray evenly, you don't get as much control as I imagine you do with airbrush, and it ran off the fondant (didn't quite "stick on" like it should). I highly recommend something else!

kellyd01 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for that! That's exactly what I was afraid of and didn't want to waste $8 on 2 cans of spray!

I'm wondering about painting on a darker color... if that's the best option?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 7

IF you do decide to try the color mist (I'd practice first) be advised that if you use shortening to roll out your fondant the color will bead if there is too much shortening on the surface of your fondant.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 7

These shaded cakes are usually done with buttercream. You pipe with a flower tip or spread the tones with a narrow spatula, then you smooth out the surface again and that "blends" the tones better.

Rounded top edge? sure with crusting buttercream, smoothed over with paper after it crusts.

kellyd01 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 7

LOL I never even considered doing straight up buttercream! Oi! How's that for making this more difficult than it needs to be! That's an idea! I'll run that by them. This is a cake i'm doing for friends so I have more leeway than if it was a customer I'd already squared everything away with.

Thanks!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 7

You can either airbrush, or use colored powdered dust.
My preference is for the powdered colored dust

It works well and doesn't fade.

Try a piece to see how you like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%