Organizing Your Caking Stuff??

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 2 Sep 2012 , 1:39am by Punkilicious

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 31

I wasn't sure where to post this question. Surely I can't be the only one with organization issues. I don't like clutter and disarray, but the more stuff I buy, the more my storage space gets crowded and piled up so that I can't find anything easily. I've tried several methods of organizing, but eventually it all ends up in a pile again.
Does anyone have ideas or tips you've used successfully to keep your tools and supplies neat and easy to find? I know there are thousands of organizer bins and containers, but unless you get the right ones, they just end up as part of the clutter!

30 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 31

SO true. P.S....the wilton organizer was a huge waste of money.

I have found the best way for me is to buy a bunch of those clear bins. I have them in a range of sizes. I also use ziplocs. My peony cutters are in a ziploc then in the large bin with all the others flower cutters (roses, sunflowers, etc.) Another container holds a variety of sizes of toothpicks & foam pieces.

I also have a small container on top of the stack that holds the tips I use most. All of these are stacked on a wire rack. This way, I can see everything. I have them stacked according to how often I use them.

dawnybird Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 31

I agree with you about the Wilton organizer. I bought it when I took the classes, but it's so limiting. Those are good ideas you had; thanks. I like the idea of putting the bins on wire racks so you can slide one out without having to lift off all the ones on top of it.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 31

My favorite part about the bins is that I can change them up. If I get too many of something to fit...I switch them to a larger bin. NOTHING is wasted! So much more versatile.

dawnybird Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 31

Sounds perfect! Now I can't wait to go to WalMart!! Thanks!

cookiemonster025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemonster025 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 4:22am
post #6 of 31

I agree with using different sized plastic bins. I finally went out and bought a bunch last week and it is MUCH easier to find things now! I keep pans in a couple bins, boards and foil in another, etc.

gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 4:54am
post #7 of 31

I also just got some plastic bins but the ones on rollers so I can pull it in and out of my pantry and kitchen. I also used index cards and wrote down main things that were in the bin and taped it to the bin so I can see.

I put similar items together also.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 5:50am
post #8 of 31

You buy the empty house next door and have different rooms for pans, candy molds, dry ingredients, boxes and cupcake holders and stands, fondant and gum paste tools, finished gum paste flowers, 2 extra upright freezers to store baked cake layers and buttercream.

I'm surprised no one has suggested this obvious solution.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 6:56am
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

You buy the empty house next door and have different rooms for pans, candy molds, dry ingredients, boxes and cupcake holders and stands, fondant and gum paste tools, finished gum paste flowers, 2 extra upright freezers to store baked cake layers and buttercream.
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL...
i thought about it but when the Towenhouse next door to our home went up for sale @ $930,000.00 i thought - narrrrrrrr.. so i went and bought another two floor to ceiling bookcases and filled them with white boxes..... so now i have four floor to ceiling bookcases - filled with white boxes.... Plus all the Large plastic bins .....
Then of course there are the 2 floor to ceiling bookcases in the storeroom that are filled with large plastic containers and they hold all my glassware ....
I keep them seperate as i use those for *me* occassionally.

I'm surprised no one has suggested this obvious solution
Lolll, i really did - but the price was just a tad over the top icon_wink.gif ...and hubby said - NEXT DOOR !!!- your joking..... cheaper to build a second story on this place - lollllllllllllllllllllll

Bluehue

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 31

I'm glad I am not the only one who is disorganized. Lord, it is shameful. I have 15 years worth of caking crap in various spots in my kitchen. Sunday evening I took it upon myself to try to organize some of the stuff I have and get it off the counters. I have clear shoe boxes that I purchased a while back from Lowe's. I was able to put some of the stuff in there. I also have large clear Rubbermaid totes with cutters and other tools. I saw that Wilton thing in Michael's. That wouldn't hold a fraction of what I have haha!

dawnybird Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 1:28pm
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonster025

I agree with using different sized plastic bins. I finally went out and bought a bunch last week and it is MUCH easier to find things now! I keep pans in a couple bins, boards and foil in another, etc.

I never even thought about putting "big" things like pans and cake boards in bins! But those stupid pans never stack well and I've had more than one avalanche while trying to get them out!!

dawnybird Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

I'm surprised no one has suggested this obvious solution.

Apti,
That is screamin' funny! Hahaha!!!

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 1:58pm
post #13 of 31
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 2:07pm
post #14 of 31

My master bedroom has a his an her's separate closets and I also have the his an her's dresser set. So I got rid of the husband (his) and filled his dresser with cake pans, every drawer. Ha Ha! LOL Shameful really isn't it?! but still funny and very true. His closet is full of clear boxes of organized stuff. icon_smile.gif I also have a spare room/office and it is full too. All organized, but full.

For me that was the obvious solution. LOL Ha Ha! icon_smile.gif

Something to think about. Have a great day!

Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 2:35pm
post #15 of 31

I actually own the house next door to me, but I think my tenets would get a little up set if I started storing my cake stuff there, there would be no room left for their kids!! LOL

I am like everyone else in that I have the LARGE clear bin and have them separated by what is inside. ie, gumpaste tools, molds, etc. I have yet to find a bin that is large enough to hold all of my pans, none seem to be big enough. My only problem is then where to store them. My first thought was that I was going to build a window seat and hide them under that, but now I have way to many for that, so I will just keep the main ones in that and have the rest on shelves in my laundry room. HTH

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 2:37pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGF

My master bedroom has a his an her's separate closets and I also have the his an her's dresser set. So I got rid of the husband (his) and filled his dresser with cake pans, every drawer. Ha Ha! LOL Shameful really isn't it?! but still funny and very true. His closet is full of clear boxes of organized stuff. icon_smile.gif I also have a spare room/office and it is full too. All organized, but full.

For me that was the obvious solution. LOL Ha Ha! icon_smile.gif

Something to think about. Have a great day!

I'd probably keep the husband (could be handy - cooking for kids while I'm at work, baby sitting, cleaning up, washing the dishes, carrying heavy cakes, delivering) and would just get rid of his stuff. icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:35pm
post #17 of 31

I have a million gadgets too!

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 4:19pm
post #18 of 31

I too have those bins from Walmart that have the little wheels on the bottom. Right now, I have two that are stacked on top of each other. Above that, my boyfriend built me some shelving for larger, heavier items like baking pans, and ingredients like flour and sugars.

I love my bins because each drawer is for something specific like all my fondant tools, another is for all my food colorings, sprinkles, extracts, etc.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 4:25pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfcakes

I also just got some plastic bins but the ones on rollers so I can pull it in and out of my pantry and kitchen. I also used index cards and wrote down main things that were in the bin and taped it to the bin so I can see.

I put similar items together also.

I like that idea thumbs_up.gif

cookiemonster025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemonster025 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 7:51pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonster025

I never even thought about putting "big" things like pans and cake boards in bins! But those stupid pans never stack well and I've had more than one avalanche while trying to get them out!!

No, they dont stack well at all! I put different sizes of the same shape pan inside each other, then I lay everything on its side in a taller clear bin (I think the one I have at home is 80L). If its on its side, you can easily pull out a pan without toppling everything over. Ditto for cakeboards... lay them on their side in a bin tall enough to handle that.

dawnybird Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 1:26pm
post #21 of 31

Okay, you guys are cracking me up! I just needed some tips on organizing; never thought this thread would get so entertaining!! Getting rid of the husband to use his part of the storage space is hysterical! Cookiemonster, the tips about putting different size pans inside each other and standing them on end is great! Duh, I always put the matched pair together and of course they don't "nest" inside each other that way! I'm loving all these creative (and zany) ideas for dealing with the clutter that is our obsession.

HalifaxMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HalifaxMommy Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:28pm
post #22 of 31

I love the 12 x 12 x 5 (I think) clear containers from Micheal's that are intended to hold scrap book paper.

One contains all my spatulas and baker's blades another one holds my SPS plates and matching pegs, wood dowels, etc, another one holds all plastic cutters. I have smaller ones for my metal cutters, paintbrushes, wire cutters and wire, ball tools and foam pads.

SugarMillCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMillCakes Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 2:30am
post #23 of 31

I have LOTS of decorating tools, luster dust, mats, cutters, etc. The very best decision I've made is to invest in a Craftsman rolling toolbox (the kind you'll find in an auto repair shop). Mine has a lower rolling set of larger drawers and also another set of smaller drawers on top. I use the smaller drawers for things like tools, paint brushes, luster and disco dusts, and then as the shelves get larger I use them for bigger items like cutter sets, dragees and sanding sugars, impression mats, and molds. The drawers slide in and out easily, and everything is kept neatly stored where I can get to it easily.

I can't recommend this storage solution enough! It is lock-able and easy to move with the rollers. You can configure the Craftsman systems according to your needs.

They can be expensive but buy it on sale (I got mine right before Father's Day - it was a steal!). I've had mine for a few years and it has served me very well! There are a couple of brands so you have a few color choices as well. Mine is gray but you can also get stainless and red. I was just at Costco the other day and saw an awesome set that had bamboo faces.

Good luck!

dawnybird Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 4:49pm
post #24 of 31

kryptonite,
Thanks for the link to that other thread! I was blown completely away by the organization!! Even if I had all of those things, I think I would sit there going "Now, which things to put together? How to arrange my things in all this cool stuff?" icon_smile.gif I would happily pay some organized person to do it for me!!

owatto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
owatto Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 10:20pm
post #25 of 31

I've only been doing cakes for almost a year and the amount of stuff I have!! I am renting at the moment so don't really have my own space, most of my stuff is in a big tool box I got from bunnings
(a big hardware store in Australia). I seem to be out growing every box I get. When we buy our own house my boyfriend wants a shed to put all his toys in, maybe I should put in my request for the house next door lol I think when we do settle down in our own place I will get a set of shelves and do the boxes like most people, its such a simple idea!

dawnybird Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 1:33am
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by owatto

I've only been doing cakes for almost a year and the amount of stuff I have!! I am renting at the moment so don't really have my own space, most of my stuff is in a big tool box I got from bunnings
(a big hardware store in Australia). I seem to be out growing every box I get. When we buy our own house my boyfriend wants a shed to put all his toys in, maybe I should put in my request for the house next door lol I think when we do settle down in our own place I will get a set of shelves and do the boxes like most people, its such a simple idea!

owatto,
Welcome to Cake Central! Lots of good people on here, willing to help out those of us who are still getting started. I just came back from WalMart with a boat load of plastic bins and containers. Let the fun begin!!

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 4:58pm
post #27 of 31

Besides the possibility of buying the house next door or getting rid of the husband to take his closet space there is the option of getting rid of one of your children.....by marrying them off and taking over their bedroom space! That is what I did. Her then fiance packed all her things and moved them out of state to where they were going to live about two weeks before the wedding. The next day I began moving my caking stuff in. I have to say I was astonished by how much stuff I had accumulated and had stashed all over the house here and there!

To organize the room I bought those 5 foot tall stainless steel storage shelves and lined them up side by side and around the room in every spot they would fit. I then went to the dollar store, Wal-mart, and Costco and got plastic storage bins of all sizes and got busy organizing. We had an old dining table in the basement that the kids used to play cards, etc. I snagged it and put it in the center of my room and voila! A place to work on my sugar art where it can dry and I don't have to move it around to use the table for other things. I LOVE my work room!

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 11:57pm
post #28 of 31

OK, I am loving all the great organizing ideas, and love the lonk to wickedgoodies site, awesome pics. Lots of great tells, but no shows, where are all the pics cakers???? Hint hint icon_wink.gif

dawnybird Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 12:51am
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfandm

OK, I am loving all the great organizing ideas, and love the lonk to wickedgoodies site, awesome pics. Lots of great tells, but no shows, where are all the pics cakers???? Hint hint icon_wink.gif

Frankly, I'm still a little intimidated about putting my cake pictures on just yet. I feel like I'm improving, but compared to the gorgeous, flawless cakes I see on CC, I'm a little shy about showing my work. I'm working up my courage though. Everybody was a beginner at some point, right?

BarbaraM0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraM0809 Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 1:00am
post #30 of 31

I've been doing cakes for about 8 months and quickly started accumulating things! I eventually bought a 5 shelf unit, some of those racks for stacking the pans (I nest my 14, 12, 10, 8, and 6 together and put them upright in the rack) then use the small plastic rubbermaid storage unit with like 4 drawers for gel colors, clear plastic shoe boxes for cookie cutters sorted by type (flowers, shapes, halloween, letters and numbers et) and I'm still looking for new ideas! I like the idea of using the large totes for boxes and boards, I'm gonna have to do that next icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%