Rough Ruffle On Cake?

Decorating By Missdoodle Updated 28 Aug 2012 , 4:17pm by auntiem9597

Missdoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missdoodle Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! This is actually my first post. I am an amateur baker, usually just for fun, family and work. My sister is getting married and has asked me and my SIL to make the cake. There will only be about 30 people so I am not worried about the size. There is a specific style she wants and I am not sure how to get it. Here is a link to a picture of the cake she likes
[/url]http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/picture/474168?ajax[url]

How would I go about this?

And thank you all in advance, I am sure in the weeks to come there will be many more questions from me that you all can answer.

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 3

Those ruffles are done with 50/50 fondant & gumpaste. (Some have used straight fondant or straight gumpaste) Cut a strip, lightly ruffle the top edge and apply to a cake that is lightly iced with b'cream. Continue down the cake until it is covered.

auntiem9597 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiem9597 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 3

I recently did a ruffle cake for a friend's wedding. I covered all tiers with fondant, then used fondant strips, cut about 3, rolled out fairly thin, 3/4" wide for my cake, thinned the top edge with a cone tool, then applied to the cake working from top down with water on a slightly damp brush. Mine was ombre style, so I made sure the tier I was working on was covered in the same color as the ruffle I started with at the top, so it looked seemless in color. It was very easy to do, but a little time consuming. Try to make your strips long enough to go all the way around, but if you don't, you will have a more rustic look, just make sure you stagger the seams-think wood flooring! See my hydrangea wedding cake photo. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%