Moulded Chocolate In The Fridge?

Decorating By Donna62 Updated 27 Aug 2012 , 11:41pm by Donna62

Donna62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donna62 Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 3

I am frantic trying to put together a cheesecake wedding cake for my daughter's wedding this weekend. The cake is iced with an Italian meringue buttercream and I put it in the freezer. The buttercream discolored. There are spots that are very yellow and there are horrible cracks. I was hoping to cover the cake in modeling chocolate to cover the now ugly buttercream and put it in the fridge until I need it . I don't have the option of leaving it out because it is cheesecake. She does not want fondant used and I am worried that if I recover with more buttercream, it with still get yellow spots when I put it back in the fridge, On the other hand, I have read that the modeling chocolate can get discolored from condensation. I also have gum paste flowers waiting to be put on and don't know if I can put them in the fridge on the cake before hand and have the whole thing ready to go. I can't be decorating this thing the day of the wedding. It has to be done and out of the way and I don't have time to fix anymore problems. Can anyone help me? How can I ice this thing and not have it get ruined in the fridge? I am running out of time and as mother of the bride, I am way too stressed to experiment on something so important.

2 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 3

Putting any kind of icing on the outside of cheesecake is a major problem. Cheesecake has so much liquid relative to cake that it measurably expands when heated and contracts when cooled. Cheesecake in my experience usually cracks when I freeze it.

There's nothing you can do about that. Scrape off most of the buttercream before you do anything else. Keep the cheesecake cold by all means but DO NOT FREEZE.

People successfully pour ganache over cheesecake, that has a much closer composition and it therefore doesn't crack. You can make ganache with white chocolate or white candy melts and heavy cream. You can pour two layers onto chilled cake and chill the cakes in between.

But how are you going to put tiers together? Hopefully with 2x the number of dowels you would normally use...or a plate system or pillars that put no weight at all on the tiers?

Donna62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donna62 Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 3

If I scrape off the buttercream, what do I cover the cake with? The cake is already stacked with plates.So ganache is not an option. The question is whether or not I can put modeling chocolate on top of the buttercream and then put the whole thing in the fridge to keep it cold before the wedding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%