So Over Cupcake Wars...please Bring Back Cake Challenges!

Decorating By kimber59 Updated 29 Aug 2012 , 7:25am by Claire138

kimber59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimber59 Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 1:00am
post #1 of 21

I am sorry but just feel the need to say it.. enough cupcake wars.
Food Network please bring back Cake Challenges.

20 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 1:34am
post #2 of 21

Amen thumbs_up.gif There aren't any cake shows on at all icon_sad.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 1:57am
post #3 of 21

An ad in August's Bake magazine: The Search for America's Best Cake Decorator is on. Cake Show. Coming This Fall to the Baking Channel. The Baking Channel?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 2:18am
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber59

I am sorry but just feel the need to say it.. enough cupcake wars.
Food Network please bring back Cake Challenges.

totally with you! I really miss the food network cake challenges!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 2:21am
post #5 of 21

I think it's on-line.
http://www.bakemag.com/videos/the%20baking%20channel.aspx
From Facebook:
View new videos every week from bakers across the country as they share their success stories and business insights. Tune into The Baking Channel's Discovering America's Bakeries tours.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 2:24am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

I think it's on-line.
http://www.bakemag.com/videos/the%20baking%20channel.aspx
From Facebook:
View new videos every week from bakers across the country as they share their success stories and business insights. Tune into The Baking Channel's Discovering America's Bakeries tours.

That's too bad. A half-hour TV program featuring cake decorators would be fun!

shanter Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 3:01am
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

That's too bad. A half-hour TV program featuring cake decorators would be fun!

I agree. Frankly, I'm tired of all of the contest food shows.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 3:36am
post #8 of 21

A local decorator recently posted on Facebook that she had done an audition tape for Challenge...

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 3:49am
post #9 of 21

I want to see Challenge back too, but the way it was in the beginning. I want to see the design and technique of decorating cakes, not the extreme elements. Get back to basics. I miss Challenge sooooo much.

Oh, and I'd really like to see Keegan running it from the floor again. He just elevated the show to a whole different level with his experience and expertise when he was talking as the host.

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 21

I miss Challenge so so much.
I'd take any decorating show at this point.

Sadly, Cupcake Wars is 99.5% devoid of learning. (I do enjoy hearing Candace & Florian discuss why certain flavor combinations work or not - but such a tiny part of the 1 hr. show.)
And there is essentially zero useful decorating techniques on Cupcake wars. (I know how to use sprinkles...)
Well, that's why we have TiVo, right?

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 21

So funny you posted this, I just said to my husband last night when Cupcake Wars was coming on that I really can't stand this show and what happened the the Challenges! I don't get the Baking Channel or the Cooking Channel (Food Network only). I really miss a more instructional show or at least one that gives tips now and again. (Thanks Buddy!)

Isn't anyone who does television programming on CC? Or do we need our own show!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 2:37pm
post #12 of 21

There is a new show starting here today in Canada on Food network Canada called Sugar Stars....I plan to check it out...

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 21

I don't really have a problem with Cupcake Wars, although I find some of the more outlandish theme ingredients to produce rather unappetizing combinations. And now that I think about it, seeing Cheerios and cut corn as theme ingredients for some sort of baby shower cupcake (I missed the rest of the episode; it started just as I was walking out the door to go out to dinner) was a bit insulting, given that I've been eating Cheerios for breakfast for most of the half-century I've been walking the planet, and cut corn is my favorite dinner vegetable side-dish.

Any opinions on "Sweet Genius"? I rather imagine (and impersonate) that guy announcing, "I am a pompous <3-letter word for donkey>. Are you?"

shanter Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 21

I was very disappointed in Sweet Genius. When it was announced that Ron Ben Israel was going to do a show (but not what kind), I really hoped he would be teaching technique. Not so. Sigh. Yet another silly contest show. For a while my office mate and I would make up even sillier challenges - "Your inspiration is a table lamp, and your surprise ingredient is CheezWhiz!" icon_biggrin.gif

He's a genius decorator, but as hbquikcomjamesl says, comes across as a pompous _ _ _.

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 5:07pm
post #15 of 21

I don't really understand Cupcake Wars? I mean if you win, you "get to" make like 1000 cupcakes. Why are they punishing the winners?!?! icon_wink.gif

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 10:12pm
post #16 of 21

I think I read somewhere (don't remember where) that Challenge might be coming back... but it would be more like the Halloween Wars challenges they did over the holidays with teams, etc.

I can't watch Sweet Genius or Cupcake Wars. I used to love watching Fabulous Cakes or Amazing Wedding Cakes. I don't know if they are still on anymore.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 10:23pm
post #17 of 21

"Challenge" as we know it is gone, but they have been casting a new type of cake show. Don't know much about it other then a few of my CC pals here auditioned for it and may have been chosen.

I can't help but watch CC Wars, I DVR it. I recently got stuck watching an episode of Craft Wars and was HORRIFIED it was the exact same show - same editing, camera angles, package bits, and really bad writing as CC Wars. Only with Tori Spelling and lots of glue guns. Ug.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 2:44am
post #18 of 21

When I first heard Ron Ben-Israel was doing a show, I was so excited too I really thought we'd get to see HIS Sweet Genius in action. And maybe just being disappointed in that aspect is enough to have made me not that interested in the show itself. I really don't want to learn how to make a dessert with cheese, or hot sauce, or any of the other 'challenge" ingredients.

I would love to have Challenge back, as well as Amazing Wedding Cakes.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 2:50pm
post #19 of 21

This is so funny. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't feel the value of this show. I DVR it and begin my routine:
FF through Candace & Florian's intros
Watch Contestants' intros
Watch the ingredients and hear what they have come up with
FF through baking
Watch C &F review cupcakes
Watch who gets booted
Watch the ingredients and hear what they have come up with
FF through baking
Watch C &F review cupcakes
FF until the end when they judge displays

I have now cut the show and advertising revenue down by 80%. That is why I should be and could never be a network exec!

icon_cool.gif

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:07am
post #20 of 21

Styrofoam, PVC pipe, welded metal, wood, and 50 pounds of rice crispy treats are not cake.

Vienna Sausages, spinach, chocolate, tabasco, and octopus will never be a frickin cupcake.

I used to be crazy for Food Network, and now I never watch.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:25am
post #21 of 21

Watch the Great British Bake Off, I love it. It has the best 12 amateur bakers in the country vying off to be the best, with no outlandish prizes other than being the best. No ridiculous ingredients that are not supposed to be in a cake or cc; plus some very instructive feedback from the lovely judges Mary Berry & Paul Hollywood (quite the silver fox if I may say so!). Not sure if you can get it on youtube but definitely worth watching imo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%