Cake Pop Question

Baking By jstan Updated 29 Aug 2012 , 4:10pm by Dani1081

jstan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstan Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 6

How far in advance can you make cake pops I have 100 to do for a bridal shower and on the next day the town fair.

5 replies
CakeLadii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadii Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 1:32am
post #2 of 6

I would highly recommend you freeze them. Make them ahead of time as normal, and then freeze them until your ready to use them. As a cake baker/decorator, I had to find a faster way to bake my cakes so that I didn't have to leave everything to the last minute. This is the most efficient way I have found. U can put them in the fridge, but I find that the refrigerator eventually dries the cake out. Not good. But, the freezer works really great. You can freeze them, and when your ready to use them, you take them out and let them defrost and the liquid that was once frozen in the cake redistributes in the cake, hence, leaving a moist cake/cake pop.
BUT, which just occurred to me; it depends on what method you use for the cake pops. The freezing method will work great with "bake pops". If your crumbling the cake and then mixing it with frosting, it wont work because the frosting will completely harden in the freezer, and when you defrost it, the frosting will start to sweat and make a HOT MESS.

If your using the "crumbling" method for the cake pops, then your best bet is to just make them about 2-3 days in advance, store them in the fridge, but dont cover them in chocolate until the night before.

Hope this helps, let me know how it turns out! icon_smile.gif

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 1:44am
post #3 of 6

The cake balls and pops that I make involve crumbling baked cake and adding enough buttercream to form a dough. I then form them into balls and I've frozen them for as long as a few weeks. Take them out, let them thaw, and dip them in chocolate - works perfectly. I've made some large batches and dip a dozen or two when I need them. No problem! I've also frozen them already dipped and haven't had a problem with that either, just prefer to dip them fresh right before they are needed. Cake balls freeze beautifully - I do it all the time and have for years.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 2:12am
post #4 of 6

I also make mine by crumbling them. I have frozen them weeks ahead of time with no problem whatsoever. I have also frozen the "dough" before making the balls and I've never had a problem. I have done it this way for years too.

jstan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstan Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 6

so I can freeze a dipped cake ball(crumbled with frosting way) and it wont crack when I try to defrost them?

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 6

Mine have never cracked at all. I just set them out on the counter and leave them to defrost. No biggie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%