What Size Tiers Are These?

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 26 Aug 2012 , 8:34pm by kakeladi

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 5

i want to recreate this... in square. im hoping i can do just 3 tier...w/ a sheet cake if needed...but if you think 4 tier would look better..please tell me.

Need 175 Servings.

Thinking a 6,9,12 Square - which feeds 125 - then an extra sheet cake for the rest...

Or do you think other sizes would work better? I'd rather do 3 tier, as ive never made 4..plus i will need to travel with it already assembled about an hour...in a small car..eeek.

Also... I usually do 4 inch high tiers...do these seem larger than that? Trying to figure out what size band that ribbon is..

Thank you so much for your help!
LL

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystsparkle

Need 175 Servings.

Thinking a 6,9,12 Square - which feeds 125 - then an extra sheet cake for the rest...

A half sheet would be enough for the extra 50 servings.

Are they freezing the top tier? If so, a 16x10x6 would serve 178 (196 including the top tier). If not, a 14x10x8 serves 180, or a 4-tier 12x10x8x6 serves 172.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 5

Also, if using SPS, it should be perfectly fine to travel with it stacked. I'd stack first, add the ribbon, then decorate with the scrollwork. If you do the scrollwork first, then stack, it would be difficult to make the design line up because it wasn't piped proportionately to the tiers above and below. To avoid buttercream stains on your ribbon, some people use a barrier like waxed paper on the back of the ribbon and others pre-grease the ribbon with shortening to be assured that it absorbs the grease evenly.

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 5

thank you thank you thank you!!!

So very helpful, and hopefully the answers will help anyone else in my sitiation!

Thanks again!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 5

These look like the usual 4" tall tiersicon_smile.gif The top tier looks taller because it is smaller in diameter. I always made my 6" top tiers only 3" tall just for that reason. Looks better - at least to my eyeicon_smile.gif
There should be NO problem doing that design on a sq cake. No problem 'lining up' the design because it's done on a sq. Just put the main curlicue in the center of each side.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%