Gum Paste Color Question

Decorating By seann11 Updated 28 Aug 2012 , 9:15pm by seann11

seann11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seann11 Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make some purple flowers. She wants them the darkest purple I can get. The color keeps fading. any suggestions on how to get or keep them dark.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 5

Best bet is probably to dry dust them with purple petal dust or to airbrush them.

Pretty much all purples fade quickly--just the nature of the beast. I use ChefMaster No-fade Purple color, but honestly, it's not terribly dark. Many people do all of their gum paste flowers in white and then dry dust or airbrush.

HTH
RAe

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 12:06am
post #3 of 5

I have heard that if you add a bit of baking powder to your fondant or gumpaste you can keep the red from fading, leaving it a truer purple. But I agree also with Rae, you could airbrush them to stop the color from fading.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 4:15am
post #4 of 5

I just did a cake with super dark purple circles and someone on this forum advised me to add a bit of pink after I got the strong purple I wanted and it would help keep the purple from losing its color. I used Wilton violet for the purple and Wilton Pink. It worked! Sounds so simple, but it did work. Also, keep the finished purple pieces out of direct light.

seann11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seann11 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone. I talked the bride into silk flowers since I was not able to get them the color she wanted. If I had more time I would try painting them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%