Time Line ? With Refrigerated Filling

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 25 Aug 2012 , 9:42pm by mystsparkle

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 3

So I baked Tuesday and Froze the cakes
Then Wensday Cut them to size (was making 6 - 4inch square baby block cakes) and Frosted and Filled with Orange Dreamsicle and a Peanut Butter filling that both needed to be refrigerated...
Then Decorated the Cakes Thursday/Friday...
Served the cake on Saturday at 1pm

My delimia is...I think the cakes didn't stay moist enough (Vanilla Wasc and One Bowl Chocolate cake recipes)... Because of being in the fridge for a total of 3 whole days and part of saturday? Being in there that long, would that dry them out? They did have buttercream on them...but I could tell they weren't as moist as when I let them sit room temp for a 3-4 day decorating timeline....

What do you do when you have filling that makes the cake have to stay in the fridge? Just try to cut down your decorating time...I only decorate after my kids are asleep, which gives me usually from 10pm-12pm...which is why i like to take about a 3-4 day turnaround...but w/ fillings like these, do i just need to pull an all nighter?

Any info would be great please!!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 3

If they were iced or covered properly it would *NOT* dry out the cakes being in a frig for as long as 10 days! (I have from time to time kept some left-over cake that long).
In my opinion the only way a WASC cake can be dry is to be over baked. It is a very moist recipe icon_smile.gif If the cake was served cold that would make it seem dry. Cake should always be served at room temp.

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 3

Okay..that's good to know..actually i didnt test the vanilla cake..just the chocolate...

and actually they were 9x13 cakes..which i have the hardest time getting them a full 2 inches..so im never sure the amount of batter to put in (for wasc i put in the whole batter that it made...7- 7 1/2 cups) w/ two flower nails...but sometimes it seems the middle doesnt quite cook so i always cook it longer than what i think.... 300 at 30 i think and then 325 at 30..i think thats what i did...

but its good to know about the fridge shouldnt be an issue.. thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%