Friday Night Cake Club 8/24/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 26 Aug 2012 , 11:49am by Chellescakes

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 2:48am
post #1 of 8

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's up? Whatcha' workin' on?

Cat

7 replies
catlharper Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 2:54am
post #2 of 8

Hi everyone!

This week has been busy with school stuff. My son just started 6th grade which is the top grade at Elementary here. Lots to get nailed down. Other than that I just had a baby shower cake this week. It was a lot of little details so it felt like it took forever but I think that had more to do with the mood I was in than the cake in reality. LOL!

The cake is for a high school friend of my younger daughter who had not seen my daughter in over a decade. She found me thru a friend on Facebook and the two girls reconnected when we went over for the client meeting. All of a sudden we are both invited to the shower as well.

Now here is the sort of odd thing. I let her know that we would show up a few moments early so we could set up the cake on the cake table and she said, no, they were "hiding" the cake away for a grand presentation after food was served. I've only been doing this professionally for 5 years but I've never had a client hide the cake away till almost cutting time. Usually it's set up front and center as a decorative centerpiece so everyone can admire it.

Now I don't think she thinks badly of my work. The reason I was hired is because she literally burst out in tears at her first baby shower because the cake was so awful...think Cake Wrecks awful and you will have a good idea. It's just an odd concept to me. Anyone have this happen before? Just curious. Always curious about new stuff! LOL!

Cat

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 3:50am
post #3 of 8

Cat, they seem to do those grand presentations on some of the cake shows...think Cake Boss or Duff. I would rather have the cake on display myself icon_smile.gif. After all that work, people should see it for more than a few minutes!

I'm working on the bits and pieces for an Icing Smiles cake I'm delivering on Sunday. It's a Spiderman-themed cake for a little boy turning 5. A pink, glittery princess cake is more my style but if it's Spiderman he wants, it's Spiderman he'll get.

HalifaxMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HalifaxMommy Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 4:03am
post #4 of 8

I am planning out a baby shower cake for a party I am hosting next month. Right now everything is on hold until Mom to be has the wee person as gender is not known. I just got a text from her a few hours ago and she is in the early stages of labour. Hopefully on Monday I start with gumpaste Converses in matching colours!

catlharper Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 4:03am
post #5 of 8

I got a call to do Icing Smiles this year but was already booked..it was a last minute thing for them. Speaking of cakes...Here is the TARDIS I did for last weekend...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2387726/sarahs-tardis-birthday-cake

The birthday girl was very happy with it and everyone thought it was wonderful so, even with it's imperfections, it was a hit<G>

Cat

btw...I'm dying to do a Spiderman cake but no one has commissioned me for one and he is not popular in our family with anyone but me! LOL!

catlharper Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 5:47am
post #6 of 8

Slow night tonight! Well, I hope more join in and share their cakes/projects. I'm off to bed. The baby shower is, of course, 150 miles away so we have a drive ahead of us. The upside is that this is also the area where our older kids/grandkids live so we get to see them this weekend too!

I'll check in while I'm there to see if anyone else checks in tonight!

Cat

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 8

Cat, I love the Smiles cake you did! Sorry I missed you folks last night. I was working on my first ever PVC structured cake (a Tangled tower) with bronchitis. So it was a long night and the internet did not get my attention. But the cake turned out wonderfully I think! I can't wait to see my friend's expression.

http://imgur.com/a/4bBWo#0

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 11:49am
post #8 of 8

Hi Cat and everyone,
No cakes for me to show you this week , I have three almost complete show entries I am working on so hopefully I can show them off next week hopefully with a blue ribbon or two.

I have just come back from out State Cake decorating conference, so as you can imaging my head is buzzing with all things sugar. We did take a little time out to kick up and heels and party a bit as well .

I was even lucky in the raffles coming home with a big 7kg bucket of icing and a really nice four tier cupcake stand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%