How Can I Achieve This Look?

Decorating By Sugarfuse Updated 24 Aug 2012 , 2:05am by Sugarfuse

Sugarfuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarfuse Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 7

Hello!

I've been asked to quote a wedding cake similar to this one and I'm not certain how to achieve that look. The only thing I can come up with is cutting little pieces out of fondant to place around the cake to get that fabric look.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

6 replies
LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 7

Looks like an impression mat was used, to me. Maybe hide the seams by putting them on the backside and placing pearl "buttons" to make it look like the back of an elegant wedding dress.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 7

I agree, it's an impression mat. Haven't seen it before so it might be a handmade one? Very beautiful. Wish I could see it up close.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 7

The cake is hard to see. Can you make the picture larger or zoom in on an area. There's an impression mat called wood grain impression mat. Picture of texture attached
LL

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 7

I'm guessing that that cake is buttercream and the design is piped using a small round tip with the cake on a turntable to give a continuous look to the cording.

To do that in fondant, I'd use an extruder to press out a continuous cord of fondant and apply with a bit of water brushed on the cake with a small paintbrush. It would probably help to have an extra set of hands to turn the cake while you apply the fondant cord to the surface.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 1:02am
post #6 of 7

I agree w/cakeyouverymuch

Sugarfuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarfuse Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 2:05am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for all the advice. I appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%