Black Icing Bleeding On Fondant?

Decorating By fcakes Updated 27 Aug 2012 , 8:42pm by fcakes

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 2:41am
post #1 of 9

I'm going to be making a cake like the pic below... I'm concerned the black icing might bleed onto the white fondant covered cake... will there be any problems with that? I was thinking of using readymade black buttercream. Any tips on getting the lace effect neat...I was thinking of doing a pin prick method to get the lines and piping neat. Appreciate any help on this.. thank you!

8 replies
Chefnme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefnme Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 4:38am
post #2 of 9

Instead of using white icing colored black, use chocolate icing colored black. I wish I had some tips for you for the rest, but I'm looking at the picture wondering how I would do it. I say jar you up some patience because it looks like you will need it. Good luck and would love to see the end results.

fcakes Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you! I'm going to be doing the top tier only so hopefully it won't be too much!

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 9

I have a cake like that in my gallery. I used black fondant for the thick parts and black royal icing for the piping. I was going cross eyed at 2am finishing that piping.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 9

You could just paint the lines on with black food coloring and do the piped parts with fondant. I did a post on my blog about black icing bleeding, and only one combination actually did bleed a tiny bit, I can't rememebr which one. It was about piping on icing, not fondant, but it would still apply. Here it is http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-to-keep-black-icing-from-bleeding.html

fcakes Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 4:28am
post #6 of 9

Thank you so much! I was also considering using edible ink markers for the fine lines... I have an extruded so maybe I'll do the thicker parts with black fondant.

If I do any piping, do you guys suggest royal icing on fondant or buttercream?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 11:16am
post #7 of 9

I'd just use buttercream, but that's me. Either would be fine. If it's going to be outside in the heat royal would be better. Royal would dry, so that might also minimize the chance of bleeding.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 11:47am
post #8 of 9

I have used buttercream on fondant and it bled. I would suggest only using royal icing. I have heard if you let it dry, you can brush it off if there is a mistake and it won't leave any color behind, but I have yet to test the theory. Maybe play around with it ahead of time. Good Luck, it's very pretty. Where were all these beautiful cakes when I got married???? icon_smile.gif

fcakes Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you very much for the guidance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%